Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran

Personally, by eight I would have been insulted if my dad read to me.

My children will very soon be 11 and 14. They read very well by themselves, but I still read to them on occasion. Of course, they also read aloud to me and amongst themselves as well. My youngest, in particular, loves to read to me. She's always reading entire chapters to me and just last week she recited The Raven to me for the first time.

I hope she is this eager when I am too old to read the print myself.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[tears in eyes] When my son was a great gangling fourteen-year-old, I pulled him onto my lap and read "Love You Forever", since I had just discovered it. I understood that he understood what I was doing, and that he was thanking me for it by going along with me.

#117032 12/03/03 02:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sailor Moo: Cow at Sea
by Lisa Wheeler, with pictures by Ponder Gombel. The story was as lively as the questions it raised among my listeners.

Old Cricket
by Lisa Wheeler , Ponder Gombel (Illustrator)
Old Cricket doesn't feel like helping his wife and neighbors to prepare for winter and so he pretends to have all sorts of ailments that require the doctors care, but hungry Old Crow has other ideas.

Yes I know Ponder, but I really think that these are great books, perhaps for younger folk, but at 53, I enjoyed them.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dodyskin: I found that I was able to get my older daughter interested in Tolkien, by reading LOR to my youngest daughter. The older girls lurked, and got hooked.

When my son was a great gangling fourteen-year-old, I pulled him onto my lap and read "Love You Forever", since I had just discovered it.

Jackie, I love that book! I saw it for the first time just before my son was born and I sat in the store and cried while reading it. That pic of the adult son holding the elderly mother is just priceless.

Okay, so I'm a big softie. *sniff*

veteran
veteran

"Love You Forever"

Gonna check at the bookstore next time I'm there.

Plenty of room on daddy's lap.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, and..Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson. With Jack Hawkins and Long John Silver you can't miss! Almost all kids love pirate stories.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, and..Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson. With Jack Hawkins and Long John Silver you can't miss! Almost all kids love pirate stories.

And don't forget Robinson Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The books I remember from age 8 are Enid Blyton, particularly The Famous Five, and the "______ of Adventure" series, and E. Nesbit. One time when we were having our reading time at school I was reading "Five Children and It" and trying desperately not to laugh out loud, giving off strange gulps and gasps and squeals. The teacher was most concerned, thinking I had given way to tears because of some dreadful event at home.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just yesterday I was telling someone how I had to clap both hands over my mouth in the school library as I was reading the "battle" scene in 'The Once and Future King'.

But what I really wanted to post was, isn't it neat--just look at all these responses. Though none of us will ever know who these kids are, we sure do want them to read!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith