Print Thread
#116904 12/01/03 12:18 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dickens is describing a scene in the Swiss Alps, and mentions "an idiot sunning his goiter". From the location, the youth was a cretin, a victim of iodine deficiency in utero, because the tiny amounts of iodine needed have been leached out of Alpine soils long ago.
From the Internet:
Endemic goiter and cretinism associated with iodine deficiency have been depicted in paintings and statues since earliest times (55). Only during the past decade, however, have iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) been recognized as the leading cause worldwide of intellectual impairment (36, 69). Development of the central nervous system for normal intellectual functioning depends on an adequate supply of thyroid hormones which require iodine for biosynthesis (21).

Endemic cretinism is the most severe manifestation of the lack of maternal and fetal thyroid hormone arising from severe dietary iodine deficiency (63).

Hallmarks include mental retardation, pyramidal neurological signs in an upper limb distribution, extrapyramidal signs, and a characteristic gait related to the neurological disorder, as well as joint laxity and deformity.

#116905 01/01/04 03:39 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What of the gait? What is there? And what is this use of 'pyramidal'?

And what are great sources of iodine other than iodized salt and sea kelp?

#116906 01/01/04 04:23 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: pyramidal here refers to appearance of cross section of the spinal cord. I think it is the areas where right and left motor nerves are located. Neuroanatomy was a hellish course with just too much to learn in the time alloted to it. I'll see I I can find anything on Internet.

All the pictures I could find were in some oddball format my computer could not read. But here's a paragraph. Just a sample to give you an idea of the mumbo-jumbo that was so hard to learn, because there were hundreds of pages of it.

"Complete lesions of the pyramidal or lateral corticospinal tract produce upper motor neuron findings of spastic paralysis and hy-peractive deep tendon reflexes. Lesions to the motor tracts can be further localized by determining whether the motor deficit is on the same side of the body as the lesion. Brain lesions (eg, stroke) cause a contralateral deficit, while spinal cord lesions (eg, hemisection of the cord) cause upper motor neuron signs on the same side of the body."

#116907 01/01/04 10:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
some soils are naturally richer in iodine, especially soils near a sea coast the occationaly get 'sea spray', and the iodine is 'picked up by the vegetable grown in such soil--salt water fish, and sea food (fresh, or salted or dried), (and cod liver oil) provide some too, the human body need very little..

carregeen, (a sea weed that i thing we have mentioned once before) called 'irish moss' also provide some..

carreggen is use in many food and 'food like products (toothpaste, ie) is is a thickener.. (check out your yogurt, ice cream, puddings, -- carreggeen is a very pale white sea weed, and almost tasteless. it is commonly used with dairy products to thicken them.. you might some some carreggeen in foods in your house right now (oh yeah, check the egg nog!)

(anyone remember the giant blanc monge from monty python? blanc monge's (and bavarian creams) were commonly made with carreggeen, too)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 630 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith