Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Or maybe two questions, depending on how y'all count these things.

There are two main forms of the explicitly plural second person pronoun in use on this board: you-all and y'all. Each of them has, in its respective possessive case, what I would think might be a grammatical error. In the former we have your-all's and in the latter, y'all's. First, they both violate the rule that possessives of personal pronouns don't use the apostrophe and, second, your-all's is redundant in that the possessive is shown both in the your and in the all's.

Any comments from our prescriptivist contingent?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: I spent a total of a couple years in Dixie,
and clearly remember "y'all" referring to just me.

Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Dr Bill

A separate question, discussed to death elsewhere in these pages. I've heard opinions both ways on the subject and do not have sufficient experience of my own to intelligently discuss the matter.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Not sure whether this has anything to do with what you're asking, Faldage, but let's think about how 'you all' evolved. It could be that it was simply a short cut for saying 'all of you'. If so, we could write:

"All of you should listen."

Well, that was just too wordy. So, here in the South we cut to the chase and said,

"You all should listen."

And, finally:

"Y'all should listen."

"You all" began to function as a compound pronoun, so to speak. And so did "y'all" rather than as a pronoun followed by a modifying prepositional phrase as in 'all of you.'

When looking at the possessive form of 'all of you'--well, we've got a slight problem that we can address by changing 'you' to 'your,' obviously:

All of you should listen.
All of your children should listen.
All of yours should listen.

You all should listen. (compound dialectical pronoun form)
You-all's children should listen (compound dialetical pronoun now taking adjectivial form with apostrophe at the end of the compound form)
Y'all's children should listen (the compact edition).

That's how I see it right now, but will wait for further elucidation.

Bill, I never have heard anyone here refer to a singular person as y'all.

M
addict
addict
M
Faldage, has the y'all/ you-all usage become grammatically kosher now? I always thought of it as a colloquialism. And that therefore, all its spin-offs were informal too. So, whilst I agree with you, that the possessive all's simply doesn't hold, I also am left wondering why we must apply rules of grammar *only to the possessive case? Does this help at all?

I too have heard it used as both a singular and as a plural.

Disclaimer: not a member of said contingent; admit to leanings though.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
maahey, what you've said is what I also said, but with more of an emphasis on both the fact that we're dealing with a dialectical construction and a dialectical pronoun in a compound form.

In other words, 'you all' is the second person plural pronoun within that dialect and functions as one word. The second part of this compound word is 'all', and would, therefore, take the apostrophe. All 'all's' are not created equal when examining dialects.

What is very peculiar, however, is the fact that we would add an apostrophe to a pronoun at all. We don't for its, theirs, yours, and ours. So, technically, I would think that y'alls would be the form that followed the others, but it doesn't work for the eye. The apostrophe helps clear up the visual problem: "Y'all's children better get on inside now." Visually that works for me and the meaning is apparent.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage, I've been grinning ever since I read your post!
Wordwind gave a wonderful explanation of how it likely evolved. But I doubt there's a "correct" rule for spelling this, because as was pointed out, it is a colloquialism. Until I started putting it here, I don't think I'd ever seen it written, only heard it spoken. And I put your-all's, because your-alls' just doesn't taste right. So, if this is the only place you've seen it written, feel free to correct me right and left--I'm quite honored, to tell you the truth! I suspect the s got migrated down to the end for the same reason words such as spoonfuls and handfuls developed--it just comes easier off the tongue, to speakers of a language where the overwhelming majority of pluralizations are at the end of a word.

Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
To a certain extent, my tongue was firmly located in my cheek when I posted this; there are no hard and fast spelling rules for what is primarily a spoken dialect, but there is a mistaken idea among many prescriptivists that non-standard usage has no rules. This is far from true. One can, for example, say, "I ain't got no money," but not, "I don't ain't got no money." This despite the fact that it is perfectly correct to say, "I might could use some money." Being a descriptivist is more than just saying anything goes. To be a real descriptivist one must describe what is used. Prescriptivists can just say that something is wrong and then ignore it, but a descriptivist has to say what the rules are and to whom they apply.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To be a real descriptivist one must describe what is used. Prescriptivists can just say that something is wrong and then ignore it, but a descriptivist has to say what the rules are and to whom they apply.
So what does a predescriptivist do?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Jump, I should think ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith