Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#115618 11/11/03 11:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i don't think so, tsuwm,
Re--The definition "is not only an inaccurate description of restaurant employment, it's also a slap in the face to the 12 million men and women who work hard every day in America's 900,000 restaurants," Cantalupo said.
-
Notice tha cantulupo doesn't say 12 million men and woman work at McDodo's restaurants,, just at restaurants..
so, WW's math, while correct (well i presume its correct!)
Think about that! 12 mil employees at McD's in the US. There are approximately 300 mil people in the US. So, this means that about one in every 25 people you meet works at McD's over here!

just means that one in 25 have worked in restaurants, and is suspect, Cantalupo also is including truck drivers for mcDodo's, and others, includeing staff (vs. line) employees.

what was more telling was his claim that 1000 owners of franchizes (and if you consider that the franchize has been around almost 50 years) are owners.. not really a very high percentage have gone from slinging burgers to being burgermasters... and the ones he named got in 'early' when the franchize is was still young, and rapidly expanding...

the percent of people who have worked at McDodo's at some point in their life might even be higher than 1 in 25, i doubt we'll find many here, --though i do know some who worked part time in HS at McDodo's-- and the percentage of worker, who have gone on to become franchize owners is i think an excedingly small number. not many are going to earn enough to purchace a franchize costing close to 1 million dollars on their McDodo's salaries.

#115619 11/11/03 11:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I didn't work at Ron's Place, but I did do a stint at http://www.hardees.com/... boy, them were good times...

formerly known as etaoin...
#115620 11/11/03 11:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
don' blame me, ot; I wuz jus' followin' up on Breezy's math.

#115621 11/11/03 11:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then there are 1,000 people who own restaurants. That would mean each owner would employ 12,000 people. I ain't buyin' that.

I ain't either. I interpret the number as: Of all the MickieD restaurant owners in the US, a thousand came up through the ranks.

#115622 11/11/03 11:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thousand came up through the ranks

that's how I read it, too.

formerly known as etaoin...
#115623 11/12/03 12:39 PM
D
addict
addict
D
... boy, them were good times...

Are fast food places very different in the US? I seem to remember the food was better in them when I went to America when I was a kid. I worked in KFC a few years ago and it was badword awful. Twelve, thirteen hour shifts for £3.31 an hour, getting home at six in the morning, abuse, physical and verbal. One customer threatened to rape me, then waited outside for six hours with a screwdriver. I got boiling oil thrown over my arms, and then had to wash up for four hours. I thanked god that time there was no hot water or detergent. No staffroom, used syringes in the toilets, which we had to clean in between preparing and serving food. No adequate washing facilities. When the HSI came round the manager just gave him £50, and he ignored the fact that the drinks machine had broken and we were wading through 2 inches of apple tango syrup. Eeeerrggh, gives me shivers just thinking about it, I hate fast food places.

**edit** not including chippys, kebab houses, chinese,and curry houses

#115624 11/12/03 01:41 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
That's a tough post to follow, dody. A bad experience no doubt. Hope life's jobs has been better since then.
On another note : In the 1980s a seasonal McDonalds opened at Hampton Beach. I believe it is the first - perhaps only? - McD that is seasonal. There were some nay-sayers but turned out the beach McD ended up among the company's top producers ... not bad for a 10-week season.
My favorite fast food place is Jack In The Box...the curley fries are yummy and they do a breakfast pita stuffed with scrambled egg, bacon and cheese that's to die for. Thankfully there are no JIBs on the east coast - anyway none tha are near me. So aside from a trip to Hawaii where I know where they are all located (!) I am saved from my FFF (fast food fenzy)urges.

#115625 11/12/03 02:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dody, about your comments..

cleanthlines depends on a lot... most 'inspections' and Health departments in US are State/local issues.
in fact, that is a big difference here--STATES(which started as independent entites,) still have a lot of power, very few thing are nationalized--mostly interstate things are nationalized. (so states issue driving licences, but all states have to honor each others licences, but major roads, that go from state to state, are 'interstate' or (Federal --WashingtonDC) based national roads.

the Feds operate CDC (center for Disease control) but--local stores/restaurants are under local state control.
often the franchize issuer is stricter and inspects more than the local authorities! -- and they(franchize issuer) are very strict.

some locales (notable cities) have good health departments, (and it was health departments in NY, and SF that 'started' noticing, tracking, identifying AIDS, (they soon brought in CDC) but much of the work was done by local authorities.

same goes for schools... there are no national tests (ie, federal governent tests). SAT's are done by a private company. each state gets to say what is in its curriculum, what teacher requirements are, how teacher's qualifications are measured. even the number of days in a school year, and when school starts/ends, vacations (christmas/spring/easter)are local issues (often with state guidelines). only preschool (HEADSTART) is extensively federally regulated.(there are some federal regulation for federal programs, but schools do not have to enter federal programs--most do, but not all)

sometimes, localities have strong regulations, NYC, because its was (and still is) a port of entry to US-used to be boats, now its planes--has a very strong active Health Dept. (its been gutted, in recent years, but its still better than most.)
--for similar reasons, SF, Boston, and others east and west coast cities also have strong HD codes, and enforcement.

In 'traditionally rural areas' (much of south and west) there is less regulation, and enforcement.

as for graft--small and large, it exist, to a small and large degree everywhere, (in NYC, there is lots of graft in building inspections, much less in health inspections, there is lots of graft in construction, but much less in traffic/police (except for some in drugs.. but even there not as much as you might be lead to think by movies/tv/ect.)--

its hard to talk about generalites, because each is state regulated.--and since salaries, and codes varie, from place to place, graft tend to varie too. two examples:
NYC fire code exceeds requirements of 'Insurance undewriters group', and electic code exceeds Underwriters Laboratories(these are independant private organizations) --many localities use these groups recommendations as code.

Note- the WTC (towers that were hit, and 7 other building on WTC 'site')were build by STATE authority, and did not have to comform to NYC code. surrounding building were build to NYC code. NYC code buildings(while not directly hit by planes, did get hit by debree, (both from planes and WTC collapes) some sustained massive damage, but survived, some have 're-opened'. None of WTC buildings survivied. codes do make a difference.

2nd) the movie Chinatown (circa 1970's) is about corruption and graft in 'water rights' and 'water sales' for city of LA. the West coast of US is arid (east coast is water rich) --
graft, reguarding water works are almost unknown on east coast, but have been an issue all over western US. (again, some place very bad, some places, almost none)--
Now, much of (west coast)water is Federally regulated (because FED's built interstate dams (like the big one seen in "National Lampoons Family Vacation(Los Vegas)--but not all of it. and 'water rights' are still a source of greed/graft.(most east coast water works are local or state controlled.--all of NYC's water is 'collected' in NYstate-
(so all is under state and local regualtaion and control)
and it sometimes pisses me off, i pay water tax for local water works, entirely build and maintained by NYC, and i pay federal taxes, to pay for Californians to have water...and for much of the south (TVA is federal program for water managment in south) even the water rich states of oregon and washington have Federal dams that i help pay for...so i get to pay 100% for the water i use to drink and wash, etc, and and get to pay X% more for others water...

#115626 11/12/03 02:26 PM
D
addict
addict
D
a tough post to follow, dody. A bad experience no doubt

It was in some ways and it made me dislike faceless corporations. I learned some good lessons, so not an entirely wasted time. I was working two jobs at the time and I eventually quit KFC and did more hours at the cafe. The caff was scrupulously clean, paid more and had a respectful and hardworking atmosphere. That experience particularly highlighted the different working practices of a small locally run business, and a one-size-fits-all, implacable conglomerate. The idea of a seasonal McDonalds is a curious one, being at odds with my image of an entirely inflexible system. I think this image is reinforced by the buildings the US chains house their business in. They are just like the ones in America, which makes them look rather as if they have been carried over by some freak hurricane and plonked in the middle of a 400 year old high street. Down the road from me there is a little cluster of these buildings, a MakkyDs, a KFC and a Blockbuster huddled uncomfortably round a traditional pub, on the end of a lane that runs down to a village green complete with lychgate, squatter terrace and timbered pub. It's all a bit...incongruous?

#115627 11/12/03 02:32 PM
D
addict
addict
D
just to clarify, what do you mean by graft?
m-w gave me this
Main Entry: 5graft
Function: noun
Date: 1865
: the acquisition of gain (as money) in dishonest or questionable ways; also : illegal or unfair gain

is this your understanding? i have only ever heard
graft-to work hard
graft-to attach living tissue

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith