Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#115421 11/08/03 06:37 PM
You understand that one of the most important factors in who gets Oscars is who we should have given one last time but we couldn't because we were too busy giving it to someone we should have given it to the time before that.

Does that mean that Peter Jackson will eventually get an Oscar for King Kong in a few years (since Lord of the Rings is being snubbed)?

#115422 11/08/03 11:00 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I keep holding on to the belief that they are waiting to see the whole trilogy and then he will sweep the board with everything.

Bingley

Bingley
#115423 11/10/03 08:21 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I liked Cries and Whispers quite a lot. Sure, it was about depressed lives--but there was an acknowledgement of pure beauty in it. There are parts of that story--or those intertwined stories--that will never leave me though I haven't seen it in almost thirty years. Who could ever forget 'the tissue of lies' and yet the other dying woman's gift of the flower, a rose, I think. Liv Ullmann's fading beauty tinged with suspicion (or haunted hope)... It seemed (the movie) a kick to the consciousness that status quo values and behaviors can push people into little hells on earth, whether husbands and wives in loveless marriages or lovers in lustful yet loveless affairs. Maybe nothing new here--but that movie was cast in such a bounty of color and eye-awareness that Life breathed throughout it in a way that begged to be grasped. I can feel the sheets of the dying woman. That may sound depressed, but it isn't. Those sheets were clean and soft and white; and the woman who cared for the dying woman loved her.

#115424 11/15/03 02:57 AM
I keep holding on to the belief that they are waiting to see the whole trilogy and then he will sweep the board with everything.

I hope you're right. I'd hate to have to boycott the Oscars.

#115425 11/15/03 05:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
FWIW, I found the original film treatment of Walter Lord's A Night To Remember far superior to the over-Oscared yarn...the latter I found watchable, however. Although I saw it at a theatre with a red EXIT sign blaring through the custom-mounted oversized screen.

FWIW, Bergman's The Seventh Seal, which I saw when I was 24, is one film I wish I had never seen. While classic tragedy like O'Neill or the Greeks ultimately affirms, raises life as it is, through, at least, the eye of nobility, The Seventh Seal left me exhausted in a mire of depressive nihilistic meaningless, so crushing that I actually didn't even feel like going out with two young French Canadian women (hi Bel! ) my brother had arranged a date with for us that night. It was so dark and depressing I still cringe when I thnk about that film to this day. I'd advise anyone to put Bergman's The Seventh Seal on your emphatic don't-see list. In fact, avoid it like the Plague. [that's an inside joke for those of you who've had the misfortune to see it]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith