Carpal Tunnel
how about pitch?

formerly known as etaoin...
#114135 10/28/03 07:35 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Fly" as adjective isn't much used in US,* but in Great Britain it means "mischievous-with-a-touch-of-meanness," yes? (used by Josephine Tey in Brat Farrar to describe Timber, a horse whose only flaw is an inclination to brush off his riders by veering suddenly under a nearby tree and smashing them against a low branch: "He's a fly one, that." )

*I count the fly in "fly paper" as a noun, paper for flies, not an adjective.

#114136 10/28/03 07:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Fly" as adjective isn't much used in US..."

That depends on how old you are and who you rappin' at.

http://faculty.virginia.edu/jalexander/public_html/hiphopglossary.htm

#114137 10/28/03 08:33 PM
"Anyway, I back out on 'spy' as an adjective since apparently no dictionary will back me up."

I think the word "back" should be on the list: back off, back door, scratch my back.

And "gutter", since everyone called attention to it.

#114138 10/29/03 01:02 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I must admit I'm just a little hurt that no one even noticed that I found a word that could reasonably function as seven out of eight parts of speech.

It's this kind of disappointment that causes one to think of willows that show their hoar branches in the glassy streams...

Thus weeps WW, a little bit down....

#114139 10/29/03 01:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
seven out of eight

Well, while, per the OED, scores a legitimate six and I'd contest the claim of interjection for down.

#114140 10/29/03 01:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sorry, WW, you counted adverb twice...

"how do you get down off an elephant?"

formerly known as etaoin...
#114141 10/29/03 03:06 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
O.K., you damned men who are so damned determined to ignore me. Up to the point that I introduced 'down'--Max had just proposed a grand four. Right? Let's up it to four.

So I thought and thought and thought and came upon 'down'--and this is what I figured out:

Perhaps down. It's a (1-preposition) preposition--Take this book down the road;

That's one. Down is being used as a preposition in the phrase 'down the road';

It could be a (2--verb) verb as in 'You down that drink and I'll down mine'

The count's up to two;

the sun goes (3--adverb) down (adverb);

This is self-explanatory, I would hope. The sun goes up; the sun goes down; I pull the blinds down; I pull them up. The frigging word 'down' here is a frigging adverb.

then an adjective in '(4--adjective) down payment';

Well, guys, as far as I can wager in terms of October 28, 2003, at least, the 'down' in 'down payment' is still classified as an adjective;

a (5--noun) noun in the feathers on a duck

I sure as heck hope I don't have to defend 'down' as a noun as in the softest of the feathers on a duck...

--how many is that? Five? That just leaves

interjection, conjunction and adverb Whoops! Here is where I screwed up...hmmm...Put that down! That's an adverb and that makes six...uh-oh; I've already listed adverb and that makes just five.

But: If you said to a dog, "Down!" wouldn't that be an interjection? That would be six, wouldn't it?

So, et', thanks for pointing out my double-counting of the adverb. Really. Even though you're a man.

And I just would like to say that there was Max pointing out that we'd only gone to three--and here I thought of 'down' and nobody even acknowledged that I'd gone beyond four. And I did go beyond four, even though Faldage won't hear that "Down!" can be a bona fide interjection.

I guess when the Max challenges four, it hurts that nobody notices tht you've come up with at least five. Jackie would have noticed I'd gone beyond Max's challenge of four if she'd been reading this thread. I know she would have.

Anyway, you might think that I'm a bit touchy on this topic, but I'm actually appreciative that et' pointed out my duplication of one part of speech.

I am in a bad mood and I hate it that certain people always get congratulated and that it appears that if, quote-end-quote Dub-Dub says anything, I say anything, it automatically appears that an idiot has said anything. And I ain't an idiot though some of you people treat me like an idiot. I ain't perfect, but I ain't an idiot either.

Depressed,
WW

#114142 10/29/03 03:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:I am in a bad mood and I hate it that certain people always get congratulated and that it appears that if, quote-end-quote Dub-Dub says anything, I say anything, it automatically appears that an idiot has said anything. And I ain't an idiot though some of you people treat me like an idiot. I ain't perfect, but I ain't an idiot either.

WW, we poor, mortal creatures some times show hurbirs with those we would see as gods--forgetting those that we have elevated, are themselves but mere mortals, that we have put on pedistals..

sometimes it is our envy , sometimes, we are just careless, but never, meanness...

i am one who is amazed by the 'mild divertions' in word play.., and even this thread, has captivated me, while eluding me.. i am humbled by others word play here... and keep returning here to see new wonders!
ask me to find a noun or verb in a sentence, i can, but ask me to find words that can function as nouns, verbs, adverbs, and other part of speach, and you might as well ask me to serve the moon up as cheese with crackers. this is a great thread. thank you.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith