#11267 11/30/00 06:30 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

I think UK and NZ English are at one on this - "broil" = "grill"

Oh no they're not, me old son!

I've never heard other UK people use the word "broil" - and if they did, they would probably consider it closer to "boil" than "grill", just because of the sound.

Please pardon the delay in replying, I had to hunt around for a shop selling sackcloth and ashes. My post was ineptly worded. Your reply proves the point I intended to make - that NZ and UK English treat "broil" the same way. When I first saw the word, I had no idea what it meant, and assumed it was some sort of boiling. Then I came across it in contexts which suggested to me that it was more like grilling. As I was of the impression that "grill" is widely used in UK English, as it is here, I posted that "broil = grill." I hope this incident has shown why one should never ask me to write anything in which unambiguous clarity of meaning is critical.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
no, tsuwm, my weekly treat is breakfast out, and my eggs are cooked on a flat grill. (as are the bacon rashers, and even muffins, (corn muffins, not english) are toasted on the grill. small coffee shops all have flat grills, and friers (for french fries) almost nothing is cooked in a pan. eggs, pancakes, hash browns, (potatoes), bacon, the whole lot is cooked on the grill.

under the grill is a slide out tray (a salamander) , it is used to melt cheese onto hamburger buns, and such, but its not a hot as the grill. In someplaces it is used to warm the plates!

broiling requires an open flame. either above or below. (wendy's "flame broiled" is redundant)

obviously, you're all too posh! never worked as waitressess or waiters in greasy spoons the whole lot of you.

and yes jo, pancake (sometime, but becoming archaic, Jonnycakes--a contraction of journey cakes) are breakfast food. jonny (or jonhie) cakes are made with corn meal (maize) and there are buttermilk pancakes, which are as scrumptious, but a different texture than, buttermilk biscuits. in the north,they are served with maple syrup.. center states fake maple syrup, in the south, corn syrup or molasses top them. dark corn syrup is very similar to treacle. many places add fruits or nuts to pancakes-- and good ones are still good when cold, and can be eaten out of hand, plain for a mid day snack. bad ones end up something like hard tack!

and i guess its true, there is no such thing as a London broil to be had in London! (my kids are veggan, so family holidays never included steak houses, or even pubs. No one wanted steak and kidney pie, or even micky d's!)
when i went to london children in tow, we ate curry several nights in row--so as not to (have a row)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
wendy's "flame broiled" is redundant

Ha! The Rosetta Stone! Here in NZ, Wendy's® uses the slogan "flame grilled. As Clouseau might have said: "Case closèd!"

#11270 11/30/00 11:55 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
sackcloth and ashes

Nothing to forgive, Max

I was surprised, and a little disturbed, to think that Kiwis could veer from the Mother Tongue in such a fundamental fashion, given that I've been good friends (drunk lots) with many Kiwis and considered my knowledge of Kiwenglish passable. Hence a slight (unnecessary) tone of outrage..

#11271 12/01/00 09:41 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Whilst looking up the name for those flat oblong things (griddles) that you can use to fry large quantities and make American pancakes, I found a fundamental difference between UK and US cookers.

The kind of cooker/(stove?) that is usually found in a British home has a separate grill, usually above the oven with the food cooked under the heat in a "grill pan" (a two tier affair with a rack resting above an oblong metal tray, as described). I read that US cookers usually have an oven which doubles as a grill if only the top element is used.

Just to complicate matters, in more modern/more expensive cookers the grill is slightly larger and can be used as a second oven. Some cheaper models have a combined single oven/grill AGAs and some range cookers do not have grills.
See cookers at http://www.comet.co.uk for more pictures of fairly ordinary cookers than you may ever want to see. I couldn’t find an equivalent American site.

As an aside I am always surprised that French holiday homes rarely have an oven, only a hob. Ovens are obviously not considered to be important.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>when i went to london children in tow, we ate curry several nights in row

Very sensible too. Did you know that the top British dish is now Chicken Tikka Masala (coming to you direct from ... don't get started Shanks, I know that no such dish exists in India!)

old hand
old hand
don't get started Shanks, I know that no such dish exists in India!

I've long since got used to the notion that our national dish (in the UK) is best described, like the movies, as having been 'inspired by' Indian cooking!

#11274 12/01/00 12:24 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I don't know. I'll find out.

I think I'm going to go with griddle. I've never seen one of the things called broilers, here but they may well exist.
http://store.yahoo.com/bowery/gridbroil.html

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a site with a picture of the most common type cooker in small restaurants:
http://www.bigtray.com/catalog.asp!catid.10810.html a grill

unfortunately, the pictures of salamanders are not available. Hobart is one of the leading companies for industrial food equipment-- at least in NY there might be others in other part of the country.

a real restaurant, as opposed to a coffee shop/greasy spoon, might have something like this:
http://www.chefsupplies.com/chef/item.cfm?Section=Equipment&SubSection=Cooking&Category=Ranges&ID=790080

In US, we tend to have stoves, and or ranges, not cookers (and no one, but the very rich have anything like an AGA! ) http://geappliances.com/shop/prdct/ckng_gas/

It has become trendy to have Restaurant type stoves, (which most small coffee shops would not have) with 6 to 8 "Burners" and in some case the burners can be covered with a griddle, or a broiler. Like above, but with out the 2" side grill. They also have salamanders, a drawer under the burners for "cooler broiling" good for toasting the top of a meringue on a pie, or creme bruile. (since the heating source is above the food, and heat tends to rise, it is not as hot.)

Most US stove have a broiler area-- in electric stove it is the top oven heating element, in gas stoves its a drawer unit under the main oven. I have a "cook top" and separate wall oven with a "broiler drawer" below. (see ge site)

gas or electric would depend on the area. NY is privileged to have the highest KWH rates for electric power in the country. It is rare to find electric stoves in the area.. Where gas is not piped in, householders use bottled propane gas. In other part of the country, electric stove/ranges are the norm.

even BBQ-- you do that on a grill (often out of doors) but BBQ is it not just grilled food. a steak cooked on my grill is not BBQ'ed, its just grilled. BBQ food is also grilled, but , oh forget it.... BBQ mean something different in every state! i think Aussies use BBQ to do what we would call "grilling"
one characteristic of BBQ is sauce-- sometimes as marinade, sometimes as poaching liquid, sometimes added while cooking. the sauce can be sweet, or tomato-y, or sour or smoky, but its always a bit spicy. every region has a different type sauce, and a different time to add the sauce, and different food that is most often BBQ'ed.. pork, beef, chicken, seafood, lamb, turkey.. all are BBQ'ed

cooking (home cooking) doesn't seem like a specialize activity, but it seems there are different terms used in all parts of the world.
appliances:
Range/stove/cooker, hot tray, microwave, toaster oven, rotisserie, indoor electric grills, convection ovens...
pots:
sauce pans, saute pans, fry pans, pots, woks, bain maries, griddles, steamers, rice cookers, pressure cookers, electric kettles (just now becoming popular in US) gem pans (that one is almost archaic!) but M-W 10th knows what a gem is!
other--
so use a colander or sieve? when you use a spatula is it plastic or metal; if metal, shaped like a wooden tongue depressor or shaped like a shovel?

a recent house guest at my house couldn't figure out how to use my can opener-- and i have a simple hand cranked model...(standard issue in US)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks helen, here's one more link which somewhat diffentiates between a grill and a griddle:
http://www.chefsupplies.com/chef/category.cfm?Section=Equipment&SubSection=Cooking&Category=Grills

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith