Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've had a small change of heart about his page, and am including it in my list of links. The catalyst was discovering that, according to one Web bio., Anthony Blunt "was a discrete homosexual." Having spent the last twenty years of my life assuming that he was a conjoined heterosexual, the revelation came as quite a surprise, and nearly caused me to loose nmy sense of perspective. Since both these issues are discussed in Brian's list of errors, the closet prescriptivist in me has won this round.

D
addict
addict
D
When I started shopping on E**y I was flabbergasted to see how many people were genuinely unaware of the difference between loose and lose. It just seems obvious to me. I find it really difficult to get my head round people making spelling mistakes that aren't due to typos or dyslexia, especially those that make the same mistake again and again, having been corrected. Clearly, I am in the freakish minority. I think the thing that I find most weird about it is that they can't see that they have made a mistake, which I always can, even if I don't know the right spelling. I have no real point here, just chuntering.

J
J
From my web experience, the word "definitely" has been abused so often ("definately")that I expect some authority on high eventually will declare the "...ately" ending a legitimate alternative spelling.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Well, then, the authority on high will have to recognize "here" for "hear" (or else vice-versa)and "there" for "their" and "your" for "you're"...and a whole bunch of others.

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? -Ursula K. Le Guin, author (1929- )
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I am French but was educated in English. There are some words in French that mean the same thing in English but have a very minor spelling difference, i.e négociation/negotiation.

Though my French is excellent, I realize that I have trouble with that word so I have to pause and spell the word as I type. If my French wasn’t as good, I wouldn’t notice the error.

For people whose first language is not English, the difference between lose and loose is not apparent. Are you sure these EBay loose/lose people are English?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>For people whose first language is not English, the difference between lose and loose is not apparent. Are you sure these EBay loose/lose people are English?

BelM, the us of "loose" for "lose" is endemic in cyberspace, and is most common among native English speakers. I have seen it on government websites, in NZ specific newsgroups, and in glossy, professionally-produced spam from reputable software companies.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Howye fokes

I meself thinks that that Paul Brains fella is a fierce pendant alltagather - a proper milstone round me wordy little neck.

Be seein ya

GT

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I loved the image of a fierce pendant, teddy bear!

So what's the judgement, Father Steve - is it five to ten, or gimme the body?

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
five to ten, or gimme the body

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

But, I have now read Brians' book and I think it is rather good. Of course, I am deeply fond of fierce pedants.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I have absolutely no idea what this means.

thank you for that, FS. I've been harboring this feeling that we should respond often in this way to maverick.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith