Print Thread
#109569 08/09/03 12:15 AM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
I've been trying to find the name and location of an installation art piece in Scotland. I read about it here but I can't remember when or who the artist was. It was a cross between a sculpture and a building and there was a picture or a link to a picture, the advice was to go in time to watch sunset from inside. Does anyone (or everyone) out there have a better memory than me?? I'm going to Scotland next month and I'd love to see it.

#109570 08/09/03 01:51 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
You are perhaps thinking of the artist James Turrell, who does the installations that explore effects of light.

The first link below deals directly with his exhibit in Scotland, the other is a link to an article in Smithsonian magazine on Turrell.

http://wengam.com/fruitmkt.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues03/may03/turrell.html

#109571 08/09/03 04:35 AM
V
vbq Offline
journeyman
journeyman
V
Zed: Suggest you contact Graham Berry, Director of the Scottish Arts Council. Go to*:

http://www.scottisharts.org.uk

Email: help.desk@scottisharts.org.uk

*Sorry, don't know how to make this link active.

#109572 08/09/03 05:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zed, my good friend, Jude Burkhauser, who we lost to cancer 5 years ago at the age of 52, lived in Glascow and Edinburgh for some years, curated an exibit at the art museum there, and wrote a well-received book called Glasgow Girls about Scottish women artists of the 19th century. While there she was also commissioned to do some installation work, and had branched out into many media by the time of her death, starting out as a weaver. Her bark-relief paintings were stunning. Here's an installation mosaic she did for the Glascow Train Station (click on the turning book for the visual).
http://works-of-art.com/hcg1c.html
She also told me she had done some kind of installation "sculpture", but I can't recall, now, what it was, or where in Edinburgh? Glascow? (or Scotland?) it was located. I could call her mother to find out. Perhaps the work you mentioned could be hers as well?

(If you click back on the little book you'll see the train station where Jude lived here in South Jersey, and a tribute to her from another friend. And if you click forward you'll see some of her best bark-relief painting, though the flat dimensions here take something away from them).

I just stumbled across this site myself in looking for something about her installation work in Scotland...I never knew till this moment it existed...and I'm viewing her work and life with a renewed tear in my eye....and I'm a bit numb with incredulity at this sudden discovery. Never knew this old friend of hers, who we never knew, put this site together for her (sigh).

[edit: I had to amend "quilter" to "weaver"...Jude was a weaver who created beautiful tapestries when I first met her, she was never a quilter...my apologies to her memory, it was late]

#109573 08/11/03 03:08 AM
V
vbq Offline
journeyman
journeyman
V
I've been trying to find the name and location of an installation art piece in Scotland.

Zed. I have sent an email to Graham Berry at the Scottish Arts Council. If anyone in Scotland knows about that installation art exhibition, he (or his staff) will.
I will post reply.

#109574 08/12/03 03:29 PM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
Thanks for the help everyone. It was Turrell I was thinking of, unfortunately the installation I wanted to see in Scotland is actually in Arizona!
I will check out some of the other suggestions when I get there though.

#109575 08/12/03 09:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
unfortunately the installation I wanted to see in Scotland is actually in Arizona!
Zed, that is exactly what I found out--after I got there! Only it's not--quite--in Scotland; it's in England. Worth a look if you're going to be in the neighborhood, but not in my opinion worth a long drive out of your way; though I was thrilled to death to get to cross an actual moor. If you think you might go, PM me--the place is hard to find, in more ways than one.

#109576 08/15/03 11:58 PM
V
vbq Offline
journeyman
journeyman
V
Reply from Scottish Arts Council - just in
Hi. Thank you for your email. It could possibly be the new public art structure on the Isle of Tiree called An Turas. This is a collaboration by
Sandra Kennedy, Donald Urquhart and Glen Onwin. There will be an article on this in our Information Bulletin which will be downloadable from our website at the
end of this week. www.scottisharts.org.uk

Kind Regards

Donna Murray
Helpdesk Administrator
Scottish Arts Council
12 Manor Place
Edinburgh
EH3 7DD

T 0131 226 6051
F 0131 225 9833

championing the arts for Scotland

#109577 08/16/03 12:21 AM
V
vbq Offline
journeyman
journeyman
V
Information Bulletin now posted
Extract: "The product of a successful collaboration between artists, architects and community, An Turas [Gaelic for "the journey"] is an open corridor some 15 meters long, ending in a glazed space that offers views over Gott Bay".

Does that description sound anything like ....

It was a cross between a sculpture and a building and there was a picture or a link to a picture, the advice was to go in time to watch sunset from inside.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith