Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#10857 12/18/00 11:50 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
There are two common water words in IE: 'water' cognate with Russian (etc) 'voda', Greek 'hudor', Latin 'unda' (wave), and Hittite 'watar-'. In fact the Finnish is very close and is a good bit of evidence that Finno-Ugrian may be closely related to Indo-European.

The other word is Latin 'aqua' (French 'eau'), related to Norse 'a' (modern Scandinavian 'aa') for river, and the element -ay in some English place-names. The Hittite for 'drink' is 'akwa-'. It as has been postulated by some as an extremely ancient word for water found all around the world.

#10858 12/18/00 11:56 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
When I studied Hebrew our teacher (a very old and precise man) told us to transcribe something and was flabbergasted when he found we had all transliterated it. To him the difference must have seemed obvious.

Transliterate = render letter by letter, so that you can tell what the spelling in the original script was.

Transcribe = render the actual pronunciation of.

An example might be Japanese zyuuzitu (t/lit), jujitsu (t/scr).

#10859 12/18/00 12:05 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
The (Beijing) Chinese vowel in 'feng' only occurs before -ng. It's nothing like the -u of 'wu', but resembles the sound of old-fashioned RP -u- in 'hung'. This is not how 'hung' is pronounced in modern English. So there is no obvious way of transcribing it. Chinese clear -e doesn't occur by itself (i.e. without a following consonant) so it's going spare and can be used for several of the obscure vowels. For example, it's also used for a sound that only occurs before -n, and which is like nothing in English. Wade-Giles used it in several such ways and Pinyin uses it similarly but not exactly the same.

'shui' could be written 'shuei' (i.e. "shway"), but because the actual -ui sound never occurs they seem to have used it for -uei, saving themselves one letter.

#10860 12/19/00 01:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Regarding transliteration of Chinese:

Strictly speaking, one can't transliterate Chinese since it doesn't use an alphabet. The normal symbols are ideographs; they represent a concept and not a sound. They do have a system called bopomo which is a syllabary, not unlike the hiragana and katakana* of Japanese, but used only in dictionaries and for educating the children. The official transcription system has varied over the years which is why we have the variant spellings Peking and Beijing representing the same sounds.

*Also known (to Ænigma) as Hiram and Kate.

#10861 12/20/00 10:11 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
it doesn't use an alphabet. The normal symbols are ideographs; they represent a concept and not a sound.

I've always wondered about this. How can you know how to say a word written in Chinese if there is only thought process associated with the word? In most languages, you can look at a word that you've never seen before and be able to pronounce it for the most part, but can this be done in Chinese?

#10862 12/21/00 04:26 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Not quite the answer to the question, I know, but I gather that in Chinese dictionaries characters are grouped by the number of strokes used to make the character and then by complexity within each number of strokes.

Bingley

Bingley
#10863 12/21/00 08:39 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
In most languages, you can look at a word that you've never seen before and be able to pronounce it for the most part, but can this be done in Chinese?

No, is the short answer. You have to memorize them all.

There is some phonetic component, more applicable to the ancient form of the language when the script was being created, but still partly applicable today.

Chinese characters are often combinations of a meaning part and a pronunciation part. A loose analogy is this. There is a basic meaning part, say a picture of water, that occurs in the characters for river, sea, drink, and so on. Then (if we were doing this in English) you could represent the word 'sea' by a complex character water + eye. That is, 'sea' is the water word that sounds like an eye word, 'see'.

Whether it's actually possible to guess at modern Chinese characters from a knowledge of the phonetic components, I don't know.

#10864 12/21/00 02:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NicholasW correctly states: No, is the short answer. You have to memorize them all.

The bopomo I mentioned above is the workaround. This syllabary is used in dictionaries. there is one more complicating factor and that is the matter of tones. Mandarin and Cantonese, the two major varieties of what we foreign devils loosely call Chinese, have four different tones that apply to any given syllable. I got the following off some web site at some time in the distant past:

Tones are usually described in terms of their beginning and ending points on a 5 point scale. Point 5 is the highest and 1 is the lowest.

Tone 1 in Mandarin is 55, since its beginning and ending points are the same - both at the highest end of the scale.

Tone 2 is a high rising tone. It begins at the middle of the scale (3) and rises to the highest point. We represent this as 35.

Tone 3 begins in the low mid range (2), drops to the lowest point (1) and then rises to level 4. We therefore use 214 to represent it.

Tone 4 begins at the highest point (5) and drops sharply to the lowest point (1). We therefore use 51 to represent it.

Sometimes you will see these tone numbers used in transcriptions of Chinese words, but more often you won't. I'm not sure how bopomo handles tones.

#10865 12/21/00 02:45 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
There's a good explanation at http://wellgot.ca/phonetic/preface-e.htm. ('Bopomo' doesn't throw up many useful sites. Here they just call it phonetic Chinese.)

The tones are indicated by the roman diacritics after the two-part Chinese phonetic character.

#10866 01/09/01 10:01 AM
B
addict
addict
B
A chance to wax lyrical and bore you all about Chinese and I missed it by going off camping in the sunshine for two weeks. Damn! Better late than never.

I only learned Mandarin, but my understanding is that Cantonese has more than four tones - about six or seven.

It is frequently possible to guess at the pronunciation of a Chinese character you have never seen before, especially when you see it in context - a sentence or such like. This is because you can tell which part of the character is the 'meaning' indicator and which is the 'sound' indicator. However, since pronunciation has changed over the centuries, the 'sound' indicator is only a rough guide to the modern pronunciation. So the character 'bai, 3rd tone, meaning white' is used as a sound indicator for words pronounced as bai, pai, pa and bo, all in various tones, in modern Chinese.
It's always worth a go - someone might understand you!

(Side note, the Japanese have both adopted Chinese characters to represent Japanese origin words and adopted Chinese words along with their character. So a single Chinese character usually has two totally different pronunciations in Japanese, one related to the Chinese and one 'native' Japanese. For example the season spring is 'chun' in Mandarin Chinese and the same character is pronounced either 'shun' or 'haru' in Japanese. Depending on the word / compound it's in.
This characteristic of Japanese is to me far far worse than any pronunciation problems with Chinese - Japanese has two pronunciations you can't be sure of from the look of the character instead of one....)

As for finding words in a Chinese dictionary, Bingley is half-right. NicholasW has a clue too.
The 'meaning part' is called a 'radical' and there are 216 of them, with a set order. Each has a number and a name. For example, number 86 (I think!) is a set of four dots, sometimes reduced to three in a set form, that is called the water radical. (A reasonable number of the radicals have two forms, depending on how much space the total character allows them to take up - just another thing you have to get used to. Different people write 'a' differently in English and we live with multiple forms.) The dictionary starts with Radical 1 as a standalone character. It continues to characters formed of Radical ONe plus one extra stroke, then characters formed of Radical One plus two strokes etc. When all the characters having Radical One have been listed, it moves on to Radical Two and so on and so on. Much like the alphabet really, except that you have to learn 216 radicals instead of 26 letters - and that it is not always obvious what the radical of a particular character is...
Dictionaries for foreigners are often arranged in some kind of phonetic order (bopomofo or Wade-Giles / Pinyin arranged according to the English alphabet) with an index of characters sorted by radical etc. This is because foreigners need to be able to look up a word by the way it sounds (if heard in speech) and by the character (if come across in writing). Kind dictionaries also have an index of 'Characters with obscure radicals' for when you have tried every element of the character you think could possibly be a radical and still got nowhere.

BTW bopomofo / bopomo is only used in Taiwan.
Also the PRC has simplified many characters and character elements to make them 'easier' to learn. They used common handwriting abbreviations - a bit like using the + sign instead of &, but even more so. Taiwanese and other overseas Chinese still use the full traditional characters in print. They tend to be able to understand simplified characters, as these are based on handwriting, but mainlanders, who have never seen the traditional characters, have real problems with them. At college we had to learn both, which was a real pain in the butt until we went to Taiwan and China and had to use both. I guess this is like knowing 'sweets' and 'lollies' as well as candy so that you can function in all (most? have I missed anyone out?) English-speaking countries.

...it's all a lot less random than it looks when you start out. And it really does get easier after a critical mass - 1-2000 characters and you know enough to start internalising the patterns.

PS NickW you're right about pinyin being non-phonetic on a letter-by-letter basis. I guess I never thought about it because I looked at it in the bopomofo way as an 'initial consonant' and a 'following vowel' (with or without nasal ending. From this cluster-by-cluster' point of view, it is phonetic. I think.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith