Print Thread
#107627 07/15/03 09:57 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Surprisingly to me, for an educated man of his time, Dana gives no indication of knowing the cause of scurvy. He mentioned it a couple times before, with no sign of understanding it at all. Here he is describing crew of a Russian vessel he visited in San Francisco harbor:
"To a Russian, grease is the greatest luxury. They looked with greedy eyes upon the tallow-bags as they were taken into the vessel, and, no doubt, would have eaten one up whole, had not the officer kept watch over it. The grease seemed actually coming through their pores, and out in their hair, and on their faces. It seems as if it were this saturation which makes them stand cold and rain so well. If they were to go into a warm climate, they would all die of the scurvy."
He had mentioned "grease" comprising too much of their diet, but show no comprehension of value of fruits and vegetables.

#107628 07/16/03 04:42 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Could it be a joke along the lines that normal people get scurvy if deprived of fruit and veg., but Russians get it if deprived of grease?

Bingley

Bingley
#107629 07/16/03 12:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
doesnt meat, (along with foods like potatoes) provide some vit. C? could it be the grease is an unhealthy sourse of vitimins?
(i remember reading something about meat being a surprizing sourse of vit. C, when reading about the Atkin's diet.)

Scury existed because foods rich in vit. C were expensive (oranges or meat) or boring/gassy/socially unacceptable (cabbage). The english navy got sailer to take their lime juice by lacing it with rum.

#107630 07/16/03 01:27 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Quite a while ago, we had a thread about scurvy.
In 1739 Lord Anson circumnavigated the globe. A thousand sailors died of scurvy. Wow posted having read that officers didn't get scurvy because they could
afford orange marmelade, which was too expensive to give the crew. The officers believed that poor hygiene was cause of death of the sailors. In 1754 Lind published his Treatise on scurvy.
But only after forty more years did the Admiralty compel
giving sailors lemon juice.
If Dana was making a joke about scurvy being caused by poor hygiene, it was a very bad joke. He doesn't mention what kept him from getting scurvy. I don't remember any metion of fruit except "plum duff". And I don't remember any mention of vegetables. They did get fruit at Juan Fernandes. Elsewhere I have read that it could take six months on a deficient diet for symptoms to appear.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith