Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10759 11/17/00 04:46 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Michael Quinion’s excellent site contains many nuggets, amongst which I recently found his archived answer to the question “where does the expression point blank come from?”

“The blank here is the French word blanc, for the colour white. Archery and artillery targets conventionally had a white spot at the centre at which arrows and shot were aimed. So to point blank was to aim directly at the white. The phrase is known from the end of the sixteenth century, and the figurative sense had developed by the 1650s.
It came to refer particularly to missiles fired close enough to the target that they travelled straight to it, horizontally, with no time for the shot to seem to drop under gravity. You had to be close to the target for this to be true, so it came to mean firing at close range where it was difficult to miss.
Some have suggested that the whole phrase comes from the French point blanc, meaning a white mark, but the OED says firmly that the expression originated in English, and that blank as an English version of the French was in use some time before point-blank appeared. So it seems likely that point here is actually the verb, not the noun.

World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996-. All rights reserved. "

My question arises from this, and the chat in another thread about ‘verbifying’.
Are there other usages where a word seems to have been confused between noun and verb in this way?

PS: Personally, I still believe the phrase is far more likely to have crossed over the channel with the Norman archers, who might well have been trained to “tirer le point blanc”. Targets long predated the 16th century for sure; and the noun/verb position in the sentence screams it comes from French. Can someone with good OED access enlighten on the ‘firm’ nature of their research?

#10760 11/17/00 09:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Can someone with good OED access enlighten on the ‘firm’ nature of their research?

okay mav, here is the OED pronouncement in its entirety:

It has been conjectured that point-blank represents a F. *point blanc meaning the white point or white spot on the target, but no such use is found in Fr., or in any Romanic lang. The phrase appears exclusively of English origin and use; and there is no evidence that in Eng. the ‘blank’ or ‘white’ was ever called the point blank. The probability therefore is that blank is here the n. (blank n. 2), and point the vb. (point v.1 12a), referring to the pointing of the arrow or gun at the ‘blank’ or ‘white’; point-blank being a combination of the same class as break-neck, cut-throat, save-all, stop-gap, etc. It may have started as an adj., in point-blank shot, distance, reach, or range, i.e. that in which one points or aims at the blank or white spot.]

the first citation therein is from:
1591 Digges Pantom. 179 The first parte of the violent course of Gunners, commonly termed the peeces pointe blanke reache.

#10761 11/19/00 01:15 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Bullseye/point blanc

Which brings up a point. I have never seen a target with a white bullseye. Visually, a white bullseye would be harder to focus on than a black one because the eye is attracted to the darker colour. Your eye would be drawn away from a white bullseye surrounded by a black circle.

Maybe I'm way off mark (ha) but, because of this, the first explanation just does not seem right.

#10762 11/20/00 06:23 AM
old hand
old hand
Yes, in our country, targets also have black centres. I wonder about any connections between the expression "blank stare" and "point-blank", which might suggest speculatively, that shooting at point-blank range could mean shooting without the need to aim precisely.

#10763 11/20/00 12:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
thanks tsuwm. And a couple of intersting blank looks at the target - true, I had just taken the citation 'as read', but the archery butts I used to fire at were black centred, methinks...

#10764 11/20/00 03:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
international archery seems to have a "gold standard"; two styles of target, one with 5 rings and one with 3, both with gold at the center -- but I don't know what it looked like in the 16th century.

#10765 11/20/00 04:59 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
don't know what it looked like in the 16th century

Ah, the memory's the first to go... never mind, dear, have a biscuit and a nice cup of tea

#10766 11/20/00 11:04 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Ok, I'm going to clear this up for all of you once and for all.

Yes, you know how it starts . . .

Our tale begins in Italy, in the late 1400s. The Renaissance was in full bloom and adventure was in the air. This was the age of the great Explorers: Magellan, Columbus, de Gama. But, as is expected, there were many lesser known explorers who were overshadowed by the great accomplishments of their contemporaries. One of these unfortunate also-saileds was a young Italian named Marcus Victorio Blancoli. His travels in a dilapitated ship took him to south-western Africa. No, he wasn't able to make it all the way around like the others, but he have an important fjord named after him, sort of.

Many years later this area was turned into a large livestock range. Cows would wander along the coast peering out to the distant horizon while nonchalantly chewing their cud. It was a very calm place, perhaps too calm. For, in the 1700s, during the height of the Transatlantic slave trade, this range became the site of a bloody massacre. Slave-laden ships would frequently pass by on their trips and vehement abolishionists found the spot to be perfect for wreaking havok on the slave ships. One noted event happened on the morning of June 3, 1732. The crew, as it has been told, was out on the deck of the ship surveying the waters when a small band of anti-slavery zealots opened fire on the crew. All seven crew members died and the gunmen disappeared into history. Slave traders did all they could to keep the story secret, because it would surely thwart their booming trade, but assuredly, toward the back of newspapers around the world, headlines read: "Men Fired at From Point Blank Range."

And now you know . . . the rest of the story.

#10767 11/21/00 10:32 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
archery

I wonder if the phrase "don't shoot until you can see the whites of their eyes" has any relevance here - or is that a purely modern usage (say, for pilots)?

This wouldn't put you very close to the target (person), but close enough in archery terms, I think.

Also there was an archery contest on the grounds outside my office a few weeks back, and the colouring of the targets definitely struck me as unusual - they may have been white at the centre, with no white elsewhere. UK/European standard?

#10768 12/25/01 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am bringing this thread back up due to milum's post in the other one: The word white-eyes was used by the Alabama Choctaws both descriptively and derisively depending on context.
Such as...
"The treaty of 1801 was broken in 1804, as the white-eyes count the years."
or...
"Let's go kill the White-eyes"

I am hoping he, or some of the other people who have joined since this thread died may have some comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith