Print Thread
#107325 07/09/03 06:15 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
slamang - a black gibbon of Sumatra that is the largest of the gibbons and has the second and third toes untited by a web.

sibilance, sibilatory, sibling, sieving, sigh (believe it or not, the heading of this page is “Words appearing Infrequently”

siglum - I couldn’t find a definition of this, though it was used in many places talking about management of data.
“An Authority has three attributes: a siglum which represents it in displays…”
could it be a corruption of Latin “sigillum = a seal, a signet”?

sigmoid - shaped like a letter “s”. In large bowel, segment before the “rectum” (which is straight)

signality, signet, signifier, signorina, Sikhism (relating to one of India’s religious groups) silencer,
silver (I kid you not = a word appearing infrequently!!!!!!!!!. similar (I can’t stand it) similitude

simoniac, simony - purchase of church office or preferment

simplicial, sincere, singlesticker (who cares what that is) singsong (a real dingdong put that one in)
sinistrad = towards the left, sinistration, sinkage,

Sinople: old French term for vert, and now always used by French heralds.

sinuate -

sn[u[ate 7sin4y1 it, 3at#; for v., 3at#8
adj.
5L sinuatus, pp. of sinuare, to bend < sinus, a bend6
1 SINUOUS
2 Bot. having an indented, wavy margin, as some leaves
vi.
3at#ed, 3at#ing to bend or wind in and out; be sinuous or wavy
sin$u[ate[ly
adv.
sin#u[a4tion
n.
siphonapterology - a branch of entomology dealing with fleas (it sucks)
siphorhinal - built like an elephant, no doubt
siriasis = sunstroke. That is inability to function because of circulatory disturbance resulting from excessive exposure to strong sunlight.
sirop = syrup, sisal = a fiber used in making rope. situation, sixsome, sizzling,

sellum
n.
5Early ModE < Du schelm, akin to OHG skelmo, one deserving to die < IE base *(s)kel3, to cut > SHELL, HELM26 [Chiefly Brit., etc.] a rascal; rogue; scamp: now common only in South Africa Also skelm 7skelm8
From Oz
“The word skerrick means “a small amount; a small fragment; the slightest bit”. It’s use is almost always negative: we might easily say that we don’t have a skerrick of something, but it would unusual to say that we do have a skerrick – unusual, but not entirely unknown,”

sketchy

skiagram = a type of X-ray

skiametry a use of skiagram to measure something

skiff - what you call a rowboat on Cape Cod and elsewhere

skiffle
n.
1 a former primitive style of jazz played by bands using some nonstandard or homemade instruments
2 a kind of up-tempo popular music like this, played as by jug bands, esp. in the United Kingdom in the 1950‘s, characterized by elements of jazz, blues, country, folk, etc.
skiing , skin (I want my money back! not that I paid any

#107326 07/09/03 10:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
As used if you break a limb on the mountains?

I like skerrick ~ "she hasn't a skerrick of sense in her skull!"

#107327 07/10/03 05:21 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
When I was on holiday in W. Sumatra, I stayed for a few days on the shores of Lake Meninjau. Even when walking in areas where there were no trees for miles around I could still hear the siamang. Their call is loud. There is a recording at: http://www.honoluluzoo.org/siamang.htm, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 580 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith