About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#10664 11/17/00 07:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>You mention this to a lady from Loo-uh-vulle?
do you mean lou-ee-ville?
or Lou-vil?

Common joke in US-- how do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?
Lou-vil?
lou-ee-ville?
Loo-uh-vulle?

Jackie will be glad to share the answer!

#10665 11/17/00 07:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

that although the Brits are enamoured of all these aextra letters, when it comes to saying them it's "whoa nelly!"

You mention this to a lady from Loo-uh-vulle?

ufda! what's this got to do with taking a name such as Raymond Luxury Yacht and pronouncing it Throat Warbler Mangrove?

[MP ref #37]

#10666 11/17/00 08:33 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I would pronounce these words in the same way as Jackie. A bit of a clarification though.

Here we use veterinary in two ways:
1) as the study, and medicine, of domestic animals
2) the place where a veterinarian works, but in this case we always tack on the word hospital (veterinary hospital).

Is this the same everywhere? I am getting the impression that they are interchangeable in the U.K.

In French we only have the one word. Just vétérinaire for the person and hôpital vétérinaire for the place. Perhaps this is where the use was picked up.

#10667 11/17/00 09:07 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
ufda! what's this got to do with taking a name such as Raymond Luxury Yacht and pronouncing it Throat Warbler Mangrove?

As much as I enjoyed the reference, supererogatory is supererogatory, however many letters are involved, and the "is" in Louisville is utterly supererogatory. If u Yanx r so hot on dspensin with unecesary letrs, the least u can do is b consistnt.

#10668 11/17/00 09:32 PM
X
X

Here we use veterinary in two ways:
1) as the study, and medicine, of domestic animals
2) the place where a veterinarian works, but in this case we always tack on the word hospital (veterinary hospital).

I almost always hear veterinary used as in veterinary medicine or veterinary hospital. If I were to refer to either the place or the person I would use veterinarian.

We say 'take the cats to the veterinarian,' whether we mean Dr Wendy or Cary Animal Clinic

Veterinary=adj. Veterinarian=noun?

#10669 11/17/00 09:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>the "is" in Louisville is utterly supererogatory.

wha? I don't understand your point. according to The History of Louisville website "Legend has it that the town was named after settler Henry Lautzenheiser's son Lewis, but the name was later changed to Louisville when it was discovered that a Lewisville already existed in Monroe County." anyway, Louis can be pronounced Lew-iss or Lew-ee; Lew/Lou is a rather different name. St. Louis, for instance, isn't commonly referred to as St. Loo.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
[quote]I have always been encouraged to pronounce the word, "vetin'ry" - with the "i" almost as a schwa.

Interesting. It is harder to imagine an accent further removed from RP than mine own, yet that is exactly how we were encouraged to say the word. RP and NyuZuld - strange bedfellows indeed!

#10671 11/17/00 10:13 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

the "is" in Louisville is utterly supererogatory.

wha? I don't understand your point

Sorry, tsuwm, just another failed joke on my part. Jackie once told me that natives pronounce it Lou-uh-vulle. Hence, instead of "is" it ought to be spelled with a schwa, the "is" being redundant. Mea culpa

#10672 11/18/00 03:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OK, all you wanna-be cowpokes!
As the one and only native-born resident expert on Louisville, KY, on this Board, I invoke my full authority as such in making these next statements.

First, if you were raised here, you say LOO-uh-vull, but in the same amount of time it takes to say one syllable.

Second--this city was named in honor of le roi Louis XVI of France, for his help during the American Revolution. He and his family would have been upset if we'd dropped the
'is', as was suggested. I know--I asked him.

Third--I was surprised that no one commented on the fact that Louisville ain't the capital of Caintuck.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max Quordlepleen wrote: Interesting. It is harder to imagine an accent further removed from RP than mine own, yet that is exactly how we were encouraged to say the word. RP and NyuZuld - strange bedfellows indeed!

I actually blame the spread of Zild on today's TV announcers. They used to have to ape RP, but now they don't even have to be able to speak in English sentences. My (English) mother had fits over this. My (Zild-speaking) father was happy that all the pretension had been dropped. I just spoke Zild like all of my contemporaries (sounds of vowels being flattened underfoot).

I hear "VET-nary" most often. Usually, though, it's just "Vet".

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith