Print Thread
#106475 06/25/03 06:44 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A lousy page with many words not worth entering here.

ratoon
n.
5Sp retoOo < retoOar, to sprout again < re3 (< L re3), again + otoOar, to grow in autumn < L autumnare < autumnus, AUTUMN6 a shoot growing from the root of a plant (esp. the sugar cane) that has been cut down
vi.
to grow ratoons, or grow as a ratoon

rauwolfia
n.
5ModL, after L. Rauwolf, 16th-c. Ger botanist6
1 any of a genus (Rauwolfia) of tropical, mostly poisonous, trees and shrubs of the dogbane family, some of which contain medicinal substances
2 the powdered whole root of a plant (Rauwolfia serpentina) yielding various alkaloids, esp. reserpine
generic name of medication – reserpine, for hypertension

Ravehook (?), n. (Shipbuilding) A tool, hooked at the end, for enlarging or clearing seams for the reception of oakum.

razee
n.
5Fr ras= (as in vaisseau ras=, leveled vessel), pp. of raser, to level, scrape: see prec.6 a wooden warship made lower by the removal of the upper deck
vt.
3zeed$, 3zee4ing to remove the upper deck of (a warship)

recalcitrant
adj.
5L recalcitrans, prp. of recalcitrare, to kick back (in LL, to disobey) < re3, back + calcitrare, to kick < calx, heel: see CALCAR6
1 refusing to obey authority, custom, regulation, etc.; stubbornly defiant
2 hard to handle or deal with
n.
a recalcitrant person
re[cal4ci[trance or re[cal4ci[tran[cy
n.
re[cal4ci[trant[ly
adv.

recidivism
n.
5< L recidivus < recidere, to fall back < re3, back + cadere, to fall (see CASE1) + 3ISM6 habitual or chronic relapse, or tendency to relapse, esp. into crime or antisocial behavior
re[cid$i[vist
n., adj.
re[cid#i[vis4tic or re[cid$i[vous
adj.

recorder
n.
5ME < Anglo-Fr recordour6
1 a person who records; esp., an officer appointed or elected to keep records of deeds or other official papers
2 in some cities, a judge who has the same criminal jurisdiction as a police judge
3 a machine or device that records; esp., TAPE RECORDER
4 5ME < recorden, to sing, warble: see RECORD6 any of a group of wind instruments, with eight finger holes and a fipple in a straight tube with the mouthpiece at one end

recrement m!nt8
n.
5< Fr or L: Fr r=cr=ment < L recrementum < re3, back + cernere, to separate: see HARVEST6 [Now Rare] the worthless part of anything; waste; dross
rec#re[men4tal
adj.

ratoon
n.
5Sp retoOo < retoOar, to sprout again < re3 (< L re3), again + otoOar, to grow in autumn < L autumnare < autumnus, AUTUMN6 a shoot growing from the root of a plant (esp. the sugar cane) that has been cut down
vi.
to grow ratoons, or grow as a ratoon

rauwolfia
n.
5ModL, after L. Rauwolf, 16th-c. Ger botanist6
1 any of a genus (Rauwolfia) of tropical, mostly poisonous, trees and shrubs of the dogbane family, some of which contain medicinal substances
2 the powdered whole root of a plant (Rauwolfia serpentina) yielding various alkaloids, esp. reserpine
generic name of medication – reserpine, for hypertension

Ravehook (?), n. (Shipbuilding) A tool, hooked at the end, for enlarging or clearing seams for the reception of oakum.

razee
n.
5Fr ras= (as in vaisseau ras=, leveled vessel), pp. of raser, to level, scrape: see prec.6 a wooden warship made lower by the removal of the upper deck
vt.
3zeed$, 3zee4ing to remove the upper deck of (a warship)

recalcitrant
adj.
5L recalcitrans, prp. of recalcitrare, to kick back (in LL, to disobey) < re3, back + calcitrare, to kick < calx, heel: see CALCAR6
1 refusing to obey authority, custom, regulation, etc.; stubbornly defiant
2 hard to handle or deal with
n.
a recalcitrant person
re[cal4ci[trance or re[cal4ci[tran[cy
n.
re[cal4ci[trant[ly
adv.

recidivism
n.
5< L recidivus < recidere, to fall back < re3, back + cadere, to fall (see CASE1) + 3ISM6 habitual or chronic relapse, or tendency to relapse, esp. into crime or antisocial behavior
re[cid$i[vist
n., adj.
re[cid#i[vis4tic or re[cid$i[vous
adj.

recorder
n.
5ME < Anglo-Fr recordour6
1 a person who records; esp., an officer appointed or elected to keep records of deeds or other official papers
2 in some cities, a judge who has the same criminal jurisdiction as a police judge
3 a machine or device that records; esp., TAPE RECORDER
4 5ME < recorden, to sing, warble: see RECORD6 any of a group of wind instruments, with eight finger holes and a fipple in a straight tube with the mouthpiece at one end

recrement m!nt8
n.
5< Fr or L: Fr r=cr=ment < L recrementum < re3, back + cernere, to separate: see HARVEST6 [Now Rare] the worthless part of anything; waste; dross
rec#re[men4tal
adj.

#106476 06/26/03 11:05 PM
old hand
old hand
Recorder – brings to mind a humorous story from college. Everyone was required to take Fine Arts 101, which was a combination of art history and the basics of music. It was a class of 250 – 300, in the lecture hall.

One day the orchestra director, Dr. Osborn, asked the string quartet to play for one of the class sessions, demonstrating each instrument. (I was the cellist). After we had played for them and demonstrated our instruments, Dr. Osborn talked to them about wind instruments requiring an embouchure. Then he picked up his recorder (he was quite a proficient player) and told them that the recorder does not require an embouchure, stuck it to his nostrils, and played.

Still on stage, we in the string quartet bowed our heads in embarrassment! Now, of course, it is funny.

#106477 06/27/03 12:24 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear CB: I'm not sure I grasp the reason for your embarassment. After all, he could have imitated Le Petomane.

#106478 06/27/03 05:50 PM
old hand
old hand
the reason for your embarassment

It was most undignified of him.......

#106479 06/27/03 07:11 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
He knew it was undignified, but it was more important to him that he teach it you in a way you would never forget.

#106480 06/29/03 11:17 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Also disgusting. My kids loved playing recorder with their nostrils--and I always stopped them. It's a very disgusting thing to see--you just cannot help thinking about nasal fluids getting into the mouthpiece.

Now, Le Petomane is one of the strangest of the strange to whom you have introduced us, wwh. But what a gas he was.

#106481 06/30/03 12:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an embouchure

came up just this past week in Take Our Word For it,
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html--
in case you want to read up about it..

#106482 06/30/03 01:01 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I just noticed the repeat of the whole word list. I'm using Conrol.C,then Control,V....and I'm getting contact bounce
which I have never had from keyboard before. I caught several of them but missed this one. Forgive me. Bill

I also abstained from ribaldry about "embouchure".

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith