Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
San Diego sounds good to me ... lots of military bases!
Sailors! Marines! Hunks. Hooo-Ahhhh
OK! OK! -- like the man said "just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu!"
Alternately : Even if you aren't going anywhere it's nice to hear the train whistle!

There was a motel near the beach, the Zoo and half a block from the bus terminus...Roberts-At-The-Beach. Oldder, clean, pleasant people Rate was about $69 a night.
Found a listing at :
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d119632-Reviews-Roberts_At_The_Beach_Motel-San_Francisco_California.html#Guidebook
Sorry, that shorter link never works for me.
Page lists other venues and there is a link to economy places.
Whatever.

#106377 07/02/03 01:15 AM
old hand
old hand
For a number of reasons I can't attend any WAPs outside Oz.

Prime among these is the cost of travel within and ex Australia. Because the prices are simply ridiculous, the average Strayan such as I only manage one or a few family trips overseas per lifetime. Putting business trips aside, the rule we seem to have adopted is if one goes, everybody goes, thereby quadrupling the cost. Maybe things will change once the kids are off our hands and I'm in my dotage.

Perhaps the only exception would be Bali. For us Sand Gropers it's closer than the eastern capitals of Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and considerably cheaper as a holiday destination than travelling interstate.

THANKYOU to Jackie and the other WAPII attendees for your postcards from the Emerald Isle; I will treasure them. It is a good feeling when you know 'virtual' friends are thinking of you on the other side of the world.

stales

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
We could take a straw poll of dates to ensure that the most people can come.

Yehbut -- one of the reasons that the PaddyWaP was held when it was, was becos I took a straw poll.
Most everyone said, "don't matter - I'll come if I can whenever it is." Two people said, "It has to be in the end part of June - that's the only time I can come."
So, we set in at the end of June. Neither of those two people came.
They had extremely good reasons why they weren't able to make it, which came up after they had said when they were available. But the same happened to a couple of people who ha\d said they'd like to come and hadn't specified a date.

The moral of all this long-winded guff is:

It doesn't matter when you set the date - some will come, some won't. So set the date to fit the weather and we'll all do our best to get there.

And, fwiw, I've always wanted to go to SF, whreas LA doesn;t attract me at all, at all.

R
addict
addict
R
I've always wanted to go to SF

Yes, I've heard it's a very gay city....

#106380 07/04/03 05:54 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
THANKYOU to ... WAPII attendees for your postcards
You're welcome, Sweet Thing. You are highly valued, even though you're not around as much as we'd like.

Money, money--that and time. Two things which we all seem short of. I occasionally come across comparatively cheap fares to Oz and NZ. But those are only from the U.S., and even then we'd all have to pay to get to the departure city, adding to the cost; IF we should all just happen to be able to go at that time--not likely! And yeah, I understand about the family bit. Even though I (only) went to Great Britain and Ireland, for the next time I don't care whether my husband says he can't make it--he's going. Kids too, if they're not in school. I would be utterly terrified of going to Bali (too "foreign" to me, plus I don't really speak the language), but would love it nonetheless.

Sounds like we might be considering going coastal :-). I've always had a desire to see San Francisco; none, for the rest of that foreign country known as California. (!)
I would like to say that, if it's hot wherever we are, I would VERY much like to have the option of staying in somewhere where it's air-conditioned. As to Seattle--I spent 3 days there, one February a few years back. And while I was amazed to see live flowers blooming, we only had sunshine for about 15 minutes total. All of my pictures are gray and depressing, though I had a great time.

W
W
Thanks for the lovely postcard from Wordapalooza and the Paddy Bear! We all appreciate your thoughtfullness.

What a wonderful community of wordlovers this is!
Here is to many more Wordapaloozas in the years to come!

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
You're more than welcome, sir! [blowing kiss e] Much love to you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was a little spooky, having musick there by proxy and taking part in the swap, and underlined how much we missed his real presence. (Hope you enjoy the read, K!)

The more I hear about it the more I really wish my *life was 'in order' enough to have been there. For all those curious these were the books that were exchanged. I received the Caufield and I am enjoying the read, Rhube...

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
The Easter Rebellion by Max Caufield
Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
Winds Over Fish Lake by Marie Engebretson
The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence
Fifth Business by Robertson Davies
Selected Short Stories by Guy De Maupassant
Daddy by Loup Durand
The Men and the Girls by Joanne Trollope
How To Live With A Neurotic Cat by Stephen Baker
Getting Rid Of Bradley by Jennifer Cruise

------------

"there is a ring road round chicago too (I-480?) i am unsure of the number, because last time i traveled thro chicago, it was undergoing a major overhaul, and i didn't take the ring road.

The ring road in Chi-town is 294 and is so far out town that going from Indiana to Wisconsin on it would add an extra 1/2 to 2 hours depending on time of day, even without the perpetual construction.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
perpetual construction

Reminds me of your comment when cruising the roadworks about Chi's having only two seasons - Snow and Construction :)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith