About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#105795 07/03/03 07:06 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A "disser bar"--interesting name! Explain if you have time, please.

When a line of type has been cast, the matrices which formed it - the individual letter matrices and spacebands - have to be "put back" where they came from so that they can be reused. This is carried out by the distribution (disser) system. The best thing to do is to have a look at this link:

http://www.woodsidepress.com/LINOTYPE.HTML

The pictures are very good, and they and the text will do better than I can.

When I said "retired", I meant "have died". Most of the operators I knew are now well planted.

#105796 07/03/03 07:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, thanks; that cleared things up to where I know that I don't know s--t about linotype machines! I have lots more questions, but I guess they aren't really appropriate for here. BUT--(yep, there always is one, isn't there?) I did find the term "Justifying Spacebands", and that reminded me of what to me is an unusual use of the word justify. To me, justification is the giving of reasons for something. For ex., I justified making this post by asking about a word. I've never known, really, why the term is used to mean how words are spaced on a page, or screen.

Oh, heck--I have to put my main question, anyway.(!) I had sort of thought that a linotype machine does actual printing. I was very surprised to read that lines are cast into metal! Are these, er, slugs if I got the term right, then taken somewhere else, and laid out somehow so that pages can be printed from them? And, are they recycled?

#105797 07/05/03 05:21 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
an unusual use of the word justify

Every time you use your word processor you use justify in exactly that sense.

The standard format is "left-justified:" all lined up at the left margin. You can make it all line up at the right margin instead if you want to (right-justified), or center every line (center-justified), by clicking on a "button" on a menu bar, or perhaps by the older method of highlighting some text and then typing control-R, control-L, or control-E (as in cEnter).

When linotype machines were in use, or even earlier when type was set by hand (anyone remember the California job case?), you had to put in spacers to make all the lines come out the same length. There would be spacers between words or letters, and also between lines and paragraphs, for horizontal and vertical justification, so that the type would one rectangular block that could be set into the printing press. See our previous discussion of "coigns," by whichever spelling!

Actually we still do this, even with computerized typesetting. That's what's responsible for the all-too-frequent funny-looking appearance in your daily newspaper when they had to use a lot of spacers for long words in short lines.

#105798 07/06/03 02:15 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an unusual use of the word justify

Every time you use your word processor you use justify in exactly that sense.

Yeahbut®, why the word justify? You don't have to justify why you want the text lined up in a particular way--you just do it. You set it. You align it. You make it even. You make it match. Etc., etc., etc.
If your boss questions your judgment, you might have to justify why you've set it a certain way, but I still don't see why the word justify came to be used in reference to lining up text.

#105799 07/06/03 03:23 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
why the word justify?

I think you probably just need to adjust your etmylogical alignment here, aJ ;)

#105800 07/06/03 10:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"I once ate a mology".

#105801 07/07/03 05:44 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh boy, Jackie! Whew! Where to start.
To make it easy just think of justify/justification as newspaper jargon.
The columns of type set on a linotype were put into page-size cases and the page was laid out in those cases with headlines, photos (steel engravings)included by a make-up man (all men in my day.) As a beginning reporter I sometimes checked the Women's Pages as they were being made up. If there was a story in type that didn't fit the page the story was cut by removing the type from the bottom of the story. Hence the typical pyramid style of news writing :the most important information in first graph, exposition following in order of precedence. After the page was made up the form was locked and sent off to the printers.
Sometimes if a line was a tiny bit short - to make it all nice and justified - or to avoid a ridiculous hypenation - a slim piece of metal was placed to space out the words. These small pieces of metal are called (letter) spacers.
It was fine to letterspace regular type but a big no-no for italic letter. Hence the sign seen in many old makeup areas :
"He who would letterspace italics would steal sheep."
Hi CapK!
Oh, and just to keep it interesting for whomever was checking the pages, the page faced the make-up man so the reporter/editor had to "read" the page upside down and backwards!
This skill has come in very handy now and then!
I went to an ATEX school when we first went to computers in newspapers and about two days in to the course I was ready to cry with frustration but was saved by two Scots who were there to learn the whole system ... when they learned that I had worked in hot type they explained a computer builds bfrom the bottom up just like when the lead was pouring into letter forms.
Now, is that more than you needed to know?
Aloha!

#105802 07/08/03 01:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok, thanks; now I know that a linotype machine doesn't do the actual printing. hot type Hot, because of the molten metal, I'll bet.
But I still don't see the need to use the word justify, when all it's talking about is how to arrange the print.

#105803 07/08/03 02:38 AM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>But I still don't see the need to use the word justify, when all it's talking about is how to arrange the print.

You spoilin' for a glory there, Mrs F.?

#105804 07/08/03 05:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>But I still don't see the need to use the word justify, when all it's talking about is how to arrange the print.

oh boy, I hope I'm not too late. your problem, as I see it, is that you're trying to justify two somewhat disparate current senses of quite an old word. the original sense (a. 1300) of justify, from L. justificare (do justice to), was to try as a judge, to judge; to have jurisdiction over, rule, control, keep in order; to do justice to, treat justly -- this usage is now obsolete. not too much later (a. 1500) another sense was to make exact; to fit or arrange exactly; to adjust to exact shape, size, or position -- this sense is now used only technically; i.e., as type-founder's or printer's jargon. the connection between these senses seems a bit more clear: imposing control or order.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith