Page 1 of 2 1 2
#104791 06/03/03 02:57 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
oxyrhynch - I could not find dictionary definition, and found only a site mentioning it. The roots suggest it means “pointed nose”:
“Osiris brought wealth, contentment, and civilization to a savage people but was murdered by his brother Set, who cut the body into fourteen pieces and scattered them along the Nile. Isis, Osiris's wife, searched the river until she had recovered every piece of the precious fragments, save for the phallus, which had been devoured by a Nile crab, oxyrhynch, which Egyptians forever curse for this crime. Then, for the first time on Earth, Isis, together with Anubis, performed the embalming rites which restored to osiris eternal life as ruler of the Kingdom of the Dead.

Ozonesonde. The ozonesonde is a lightweight, balloon-borne instrument that is mated to a conventional meteorological radiosonde

pacific - Remember that the Pacific got its name because it was a calm day when
“like stout Cortez, when with eagle eyes He star'd at the Pacific - and all his men Look'd at each other with a wild surmise - Silent, upon a peak in Darien. “

paduasoy = a silk fabric first made in Padua, Italy

... Palaka. This quaint Hanalei style home located across the street from the Hanalei Pier. Views include Hanalei Bay, waterfalls and mountains. ...
And Hanalei is in Hawaii, but where I do not know.

paleoloy = study of world prior to written history.

paletot
n.
5Fr < OFr palletoc < ME paltok < ?6 [Historical]
1 a man‘s overcoat
2 a loose jacket worn by women and children

palfrey
n.,
pl. 3freys 5ME < OFr palefrei < ML palafredus, for LL paraveredus, extra post horse < Gr para, beside + L veredus, post horse < Gaul *voredos (akin to Welsh gorwydd, horse) < *vo3, down, away (< IE *wo3 < base *au3, *awc) + *3redos < IE base *reidh3 > RIDE6 [Archaic] a saddle horse, esp. a gentle one for a woman

palisade
n.
5Fr palissade < Prov palisada < palisa, a pale < L palus, a stake, PALE26
1 any one of a row of large pointed stakes set in the ground to form a fence used for fortification or defense
2 a fence of such stakes
>3 [pl.] a line of very steep cliffs, usually along a river
vt.
3sad$ed, 3sad4ing to fortify or defend with a palisade
the Palisades the line of steep cliffs in NE N.J. & SE N.Y. on the west shore of the Hudson: c. 15 mi. (24.14 km) long

pal[let1 7pal4it8
n.
5Fr palette: see PALETTE6
1 a wooden tool consisting of a flat blade with a handle; esp., such a tool used by potters for smoothing and rounding
2 PALETTE (sense 1)
3 a low, portable platform, usually double-faced, on which materials are stacked for storage or transportation, as in a warehouse
4 Bookbinding a tool used for stamping letters on the binding of a book
5 Mech. a part of a machine that changes back-and-forth motion to circular motion, or vice versa, by engaging the teeth of a ratchet wheel; pawl; click; esp., any of the clicks or pawls in a clock or watch escapement, which regulate the speed by releasing one tooth of a ratchet wheel at each swing of the pendulum or turn of the balance wheel

pallet
n.
5ME pailet < MFr paillet < OFr paille, straw < L palea, chaff: see PALEA6 a small bed or a pad filled as with straw and used directly on the floor

pallet3 7pal4it8
n.
5ME palet < MFr, dim. of pal, PALE26 Heraldry a vertical stripe half as wide as a pale

paladin
n.
5Fr < It paladino < L palatinus, officer of a palace < palatium: see prec.6
1 any of the twelve legendary peers, or douzepers, of Charlemagne‘s court
2 a knight or a heroic champion

palouser - a corruption of Appaloosa, an Indian breed of horse valued for its stamina
as a working horse for cowboys.

Palladian 1
adj.
5< L Palladius (after PALLAS) + 3AN6
1 of Pallas Athena: see PALLAS
2 [occas. p3] of wisdom or learning

Palladian 2
7p! la4dc !n8
adj.
of or in the classical Roman style of Andrea Palladio

palpus - a segmented process attached to mouthpart of an arthropod, usulally having fu;nction of feeling or tasting

palsy
n.,
pl. 3sies 5ME palesie, parlesie < OFr paralisie < L paralysis, PARALYSIS6 paralysis of any voluntary muscle as a result of some disorder in the nervous system, sometimes accompanied with involuntary tremors
vt.
3sied, 3sy[ing to afflict with or as with palsy; paralyze

#104792 06/03/03 04:47 PM
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
she had recovered every piece of the precious fragments, save for the phallus

I had read that this is supposedly the reason that vampires cannot procreate. (Other than the fact they they don't really exist...)

#104793 06/03/03 07:12 PM
old hand
old hand
vampires cannot procreate . . .

And here I always thought there was a sucker born every minute.

#104794 06/03/03 09:03 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And two to catch him. (P.T.Barnum apothegm.)

#104795 06/03/03 09:53 PM
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
oxyrhynch - I could not find dictionary definition, and found only a site mentioning it. The roots suggest it means “pointed nose”

I think that it is because this is a proper noun, perhaps the genus of the crab?

MALACOSTRACA. Under this zoological title are included
several groups of Crustacea (qv), united by characters which attest their common origin, though some, and probably all of them, were already separated in distant geological ages, and some have now attained a peculiar isolation.
There are at least seven orders: the stalk-eyed Brachyura, Macrura, Schizopoda, Stomatopoda, and the sessile-eyed Sympoda, Isopoda, Amphipoda.
1. BRAcnyuitA.—For the present, as of old, the true Brachyura are divided into four tribes: Cyclometopa, with arched front as in the common eatable crab; Catometopa, with front bent down as in the land-crabs and the little oyster-crab; Oxyrhyncha, with sharpened beak-like front as in the various spider-crabs; Oxystomala, including the Raninidle, and named not from the character of the front but from that of the buccal frame which is usually narrowed forwards.

In the family Homolidae stands the strange genus Latreillia, Roux, with long slender limbs and triangular carapace after the fashion of oxyrhynch spider-crabs.

#104796 06/03/03 09:56 PM
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
oxyrhyncha

\Ox`y*rhyn"cha\, n. pl. [NL., fr. Gr.???? sharp + ?????? snout.] (Zo["o]l.) The maioid crabs.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

#104797 06/03/03 11:04 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Tross. Thanks. The Scripps-Howard word list has some
poorly chosen entries. You were sharper than I was to think of its having had an ending chopped off.

It could make a dandy insult:"Get your oxyrhychoid proboscis out of my business!"

#104798 06/04/03 04:14 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Umm, Dr. Bill? I think your source is starting to repeat itself.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=beheadingwords&Number=97042

Bingley

Bingley
#104799 06/04/03 04:16 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Isn't there a style of architecture called Palladian? 17th century or thereabouts?

Bingley

Bingley
#104800 06/04/03 03:47 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Bingley - your memory is more intact than mine.
As for Palladian, I think I remember reading about British men's clubs, where the Palladium was a room off limits to non-members.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith