Print Thread
#103941 05/22/03 01:18 PM
A
anchita Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
A
On a recent visit to the zoo, I came to know there are two African species of rhinoceros, the Black Rhino and the White Rhino, albeit minus the distinction in color that one would expect (both looked greyish to me.) I found an explanation at the relevant links of the following site:
http://www.rhinos-irf.org/rhinoinformation/index.htm

Common Names:

"White Rhinoceros: From the Afrikaans word describing its mouth: weit, meaning 'wide'; early English settlers in South Africa misinterpreted the 'weit' for 'white'."

"Black Rhinoceros: Not black at all, the Black Rhino probably derives its name as a distinction from the White Rhino (itself a misnomer) and/or from the dark-colored local soil covering its skin from wallowing." Also called the "Prehensile-Lipped Rhinoceros: The upper lip of the Black Rhino who is a browser is adapted for feeding from trees and shrubs and is the best distinguishing characteristic," and "Hook-Lipped Rhinoceros: also referring to the prehensile lip."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From the Afrikaans word describing its mouth: weit, meaning 'wide'

I often wondered about that. Thanks, anchita, for clearing it up!

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
The upper lip of the Black Rhino who is a browser is adapted for feeding from trees and shrubs

Interesting - I guess the wide lipped rhino browses on grass. Hadn't appreciated that distinction before.

Slight aside; when I drive through Richmond Park I notice that most of the tree canopies start at the same height from the ground. The height the deer can reach!

A
anchita Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
A
"I guess the wide lipped rhino browses on grass."

That's right. From the same site:

The White Rhino is a grazer, i.e., it consumes grass. Its wide, square upper lip is adapted for feeding on grasses."

Also, another name for the White Rhino is Square-lipped rhinoceros, as it lacks a prehensile 'hook.'

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Lovely animals, rhinos. The popular image is of bull rhinos charging unfortunate people in Landrovers in national parks, but I've spent a little bit of time with a rhino in a zoo, and they just luuurve being scratched behind the ear ...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith