Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#101996 05/01/03 09:02 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

No idea. I don't know too much about movies, actors, television programs. But some things I just learn about by accident.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Father of the bride,(1950 something) with Liz taylor as the bride, and the remake (1990 something) were almost word for word identical, the main difference was they add 1 or 2 extra zeros to all dollar amounts, and the role of wedding planner in the first was played by a woman, in the second by a man...

Sabrina, was an other almost identical remake (well they changed Sabrina's career from chef to fashion photographer, but some things.. ("Plastics!") didn't change.. and the original had bogart as the "hard hearted business man brother" and the new one, had Harrison Ford..(the corporate headquaters moved uptown, in the new film, but it looks like the used the same house on long Island Gold coast in both movies.

Cape Fear, either version, or "the Post Man rings twice" are great films..

some times NY museums play films like this back to back -- its fun to see how the remakes changed.. some times the old films are great, othertimes, the new film have "new' levels of terror...
I didn't like the remake of "double jepardy" since even a crumby lawyer should have demanded "DNA test of the blood" and it should have been evident that something was wrong, and its not as easy to day to "remake" oneself, since computerized credit histories follow you, and large cash transactions get scrutiny...

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Re-work and even reiterate both indicate the same story done over. The requested word would also indicate a similar theme and style but not necessarily the same story.

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
There have been various suggestions as to the number of basic plots in literature, and therefore I would suppose in film. The number proposed has varied from 1 to 69. If we take the twenty suggested by RB Tobias as a fair compromise (though personally I prefer the 7 that are usually proposed), we have:
1. Quest
2. Adventure
3. Pursuit
4. Rescue
5. Escape
6. Revenge
7. The Riddle
8. Rivalry
9. Underdog
10. Temptation
11. Metamorphosis
12. Transformation
13. Maturation
14. Love
15. Forbidden Love
16. Sacrifice
17. Discovery
18. Wretched Excess
19. Ascension
20. Descension.

From: Tobias, Ronald B. 20 Master Plots. Cincinnati: Writer's Digest Books, 1993. (ISBN 0-89879-595-8)

I guess it would be possible to classify films against this, or any other (say from 7 to 69), standard but I don’t know if anyone has ever done it. Now if you could get Halliwell on CD ROM (or better still DVD so it could include extracts) and it had the right identifiers then you could sort against the 20, or whatever, plot types! Sounds to me like a good business opportunity.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

11. Metamorphosis
12. Transformation

I'm afraid the author of that list has exceeded the granularity of my discernment.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Fly,or i was a teen age werewolf or Dracula might be metamorphosis
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, might be transformation.

(just guessing.. )

#102002 05/02/03 04:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Metamorphosis is metamorphosis.

#102003 05/02/03 04:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
okay, and a sample of a transformation?

and what about movies like the parent trap are they transformation ?or how about Mrs. Doubtfire or Tootsie or those stupid ones, where there is some magical transformation (most recently the best looking girl in the a small town get transformed into a ugly guy), or kids get to be "transformed into their parents,and vica versa).. or would you consider those to be the same as metamorphosis?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

The Fly,or i was a teen age werewolf or Dracula might be metamorphosis
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, might be transformation.

I guess it would help me to understand why The Fly is not an example of transformation and why Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is not an example of metamorphosis.

Is it that Metamorphosis means changes to or from animals while transformation includes all other changes?

{Off-topic interlude} I've read The Metamorphosis (Kafka, not Ovid). My favorite piece of graffiti (which I believe I originated) is "Franz Kafka is alive and well and living in my terrarium."
{/Off-topic interlude}

In my unrefined, yet subtly simplistic consciousness I had somehow come to the ridiculous conclusion that these words were synonyms.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with you, FF. I can't distinguish between the two. Could it be that transformation is an ennobling process?

...and JFTR, Pfranz Capfka is alive and well and living at AWAD.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith