Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#100684 05/02/03 12:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Connie, them others must be wannabes!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And you should hear all the jokes at the end of the school year about the rising class of seniors!

Actually, I'm not sure there is a Climax HS. Climax is an area at a pass between Leadville and hmmm Copper Mountain I think. When I was doing a lot of cycling it was one of my favorite rides because the road is very wide (about a six-foot shoulder or berm for cycling, even on the tight curves going up to the pass. Right at the pass is the Climax Molybdenum Mine, where they used to mine millions of pounds of that odd metal. It's been closed for some years, and the area is pretty badly affected by the lack of work.

Leadville's the highest city in the US, somewhere above 10K feet (3000 plus meters). If it weren't so damned cold there in the winter it'd be a nice retirement town.

Speaking of cold, here in Denver we are in the midst of a winter storm, with 8 inches or so of very wet snow breaking down trees and shrubs. I've only lost a couple of branches from my maple tree, and the purple lilacs looked as though they had fallen asleep across the hood of my car.

TEd
#100686 05/10/03 09:40 PM
J
J
I recall reading an interesting tidbit about Kalamazoo many years ago (I think it was in a Mario Pei book about words).
Down Mexico way, or maybe further south, a major traffic accident was called a "kalamasoso"--an expression derived from the trolley car accidents (which apparently were not infrequent). The front of the trolley cars were emblazoned with the U.S. city in which they were manufactured: Kalamazoo.

J
J
My father was born in Hot Springs, New Mexico, a small town that took its name from its main industry--the healing hot springs that brought people from all over the world.
In the 1950s, a popular radio show, emceed by Art Linkletter, offered the town a monetary inducement if it would change its name to the name of the radio show. After a referendum by the townspeople, the town was officially renamed (for Gods sake!) "Truth or Consequences."

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
If that little piece of history came from a less reliable source, Mr Hawaii, sir, it would have to taken with several pinches of salt! It must have been a hell of a monetary inducement! Did the name stick? Is it still called that?

J
J
Please see http://www.edd.state.nm.us/FILM/PROFILES/torc.htm

I was in error regarding the host of the show--it was Ralph Edwards rather than Art Linkletter.
As I recall from other reading, the town was to benefit from the publicity and an annual festival sponsored by the radio/TV company. Enough of the old timers objected to the name change that they demanded a second referendum, which resulted in an even larger number in favor of the name change. One of the selling points was the fact that there are a number of U.S. cities named Hot Springs, and this action elevated them from obscurity into the limelight.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In northwestern Minnesota there are two towns named Fertile and Climax that are about 10 miles apart. The headline was on a story about a woman from Fertile, MN who died in a car accident in Climax, MN. (surely this is a self-yart..)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith