#100478 04/11/03 03:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a woman after my own hearth.
SIGH--some women have all the luck!

#100479 04/11/03 01:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
--Musick, do you remember the orange oil based hand cleaner packets that that xerox had for its techs? Did your father use it?

most cleaners work on the like disolves like for cleaning, so soaps (and detergents) are oilly products, that are used to dissolve other oils, and then wash away..

some oils are better than others.. olive is a very soft oil, and has been used for cleaning for eons, (and is still used in castile soap) orange oil is fragrent, and does a good job, and is just the latest rage. it is not as mild as one thinks, (it has a high acid content) and dries out your skin.

#100480 04/14/03 03:28 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Just meandering back to the original post....I had thought Google listings were random, somehow - but I recently learned that different companies can pay (through the nose, mind you) to have their website appear as the first or one of the highest for certain key words or searches.

How did I learn this? That is how the Kingston Economic Development Corporation, aka KEDCO, has decided, in its infinite wisdom , to advertise the City of Kingston. Part of the new ad campaign says, "From the sheets to the streets!" Does this sound just a little tacky and racy both, to anyone else?! I suppose it could have been worse, it could have been the other way around....

#100481 04/14/03 04:30 AM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Just meandering back to the original post....I had thought Google listings were random, somehow - but I recently learned that different companies can pay (through the nose, mind you) to have their website appear as the first or one of the highest for certain key words or searches.
How did I learn this? That is how the Kingston Economic Development Corporation, aka KEDCO, has decided, in its infinite wisdom , to advertise the City of Kingston. Part of the new ad campaign says, "From the sheets to the streets!" Does this sound just a little tacky and racy both, to anyone else?! I suppose it could have been worse, it could have been the other way around....

These paid links are not the same as googlewashing, and Google's jhandling of the paid links is eminently ethical and above-board. They do not show up unannounced at the top of a search. Instead, they are clearly boxed and listed as sponsored links.

For an example of googlewashing in action ( a very different animal) see this link:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30087.html

#100482 04/14/03 06:30 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well, I looked at the link, sjm. I'm not at all sure I understood it, though. It seems to be saying that for some reason Google takes more notice of (some?)blogs than it does of other sites, but doesn't actually explain why (or maybe it does -- some parts were just incomprehensible).

I've seen blogs occasionally. They seem to be a sort of private AWAD. The owner gives his or her thought for the day and then other people discuss it in thread view. I don't see why they would get priority in Google searches though.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith