J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.
© 2000 Bruce H.G. Calder http://www.calder.net/

I spotted this earlier as I "popped dowstairs to make sure the computer was turned off" or was is when "I had some work to finish off"

What excuses do you make to others (or even yourself) when you check your mail/look at this site when those around you might wish you were doing something different?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just say I want to check my e-mail, and elbow the kids
aside. If one of them is doing schoolwork, I hang around the door, heaving lusty sighs of impatience! My husband's
only chance is when I'm away from the house...

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The tricky thing about true addicts' excuses is that they should sound really reasoned at first hearing rather than just a run of the mill excuse!
That said : Checking the Board and the Email keeps me away from the kitchen and on my diet!
How's that for sublimation, she asked, reaching for the cookies and milk she brought with her.
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I wish I still had that option.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I use my computer exrensively for writing up course notes, filling in mark sheets and conducting Parish Council business, so I have a host of reasons to go to my study to use the machine.
- And while I'm there, I'll just check whether there's any e-mail from our son
- and whle I'm on line, I'll just check for any private messages on the board
- OH, well, as I'm here, I may as well see what's going on on the board.

Good lord, is that REALLY the time!

B
old hand
old hand
B
Easy. It's kind of a reward for accomplishing "real" work. Not really an excuse, exactly, but I use it as justification.

I have 20 lab reports left to mark. I had 30 originally, and I have done ten of them (took me an hour to get started this morning, thanks to the Board!). It's time for a break. There will be another break after the next ten! One catogory per break. I did Questions about Words this morning, now I am in Miscellany, and later I will look at Wordplay and Fun.

Luckily I don't do this at home or my husband would never see me! Only my schoolwork gets this honour of having a rewards program with performance tied to Board visits!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bean wrote : There will be another break after the next ten! One catogory per break.

What a clever ol' Bean you are! Much better idea than cookies and milk reward.
I have some editing to do. I shall adapt your solution and do chapter, break, chapter, break, etc. And look forward to the short chapters!
wow

S
stranger
stranger
S
Still the stranger here, he said, lighting up another smoke (my personal ruse for avoiding all those fattening things in the kitchen). Still, this is infinitely better than the mindless hours some (un-named) personages spend shuffling the decks for the ubiquitous SOLITAIRE. 'twould seem that ENIAC (which probably had less computing power than my cell phone) could never have envisioned its evolution into this cerebrally numbing binary digit jungle drum.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator - the first workable digital computer built in 1944-1946, filled two rooms, weighed sixteen tons, yadda, yadda)!

Your wrist watch could not only out-compute ENIAC, it could out-compute some 20 of them and have enough calculating power left over to persuade it to vote, say, Republican ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Your wrist watch could not only out-compute ENIAC, it could out-compute some 20 of them

What scared me was when I read somewhere that the Apollo craft used for the lunar missions had less computing power on board than a Furby! Who of us would trust our lives to a computer smaller than that inside an incredibly irritating soft toy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 574 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith