Next Thread
Print Thread
#138828 02/08/05 03:41 AM
F
addict
OP Offline
addict
F
I saw this posted on Lore Sjoberg's website today and couldn't help thinking about how much you all would enjoy the concept:

---------------
Another Potentially-Useful Term I Just Made Up

A "passport word" is a word that means something general in another language, but which is imported into English to mean something specifically from a country or area where that language is used.

For example, "salsa." In Spanish, it just means "sauce," but in English it means a Mexican sauce. Similarly, "chai" is Hindi for "tea," but in English it refers to a specific type of Indian tea.

A passport word is similar to a loan word like "patio" or "soprano," but rather than retaining the same meaning it takes on a more specific meaning related to the area the word comes from. It is a subcategory of "false friend" -- a word which looks or sounds the same as a word in another language, but which means something different, like the Spanish word "embarazado" which means "pregnant" but sounds like "embarrassed."

Some examples of passport words:

* sombrero
* chorizo
* biscotti
* sensei
* anime

from http://slumbering.lungfish.com
--------------------------
Can you think of others? I might suggest "angst" - German for "fear", but in English it has sort of foreboding, gothic, dare I say Germanic overtones.

PS. Hi everyone! I wish I had time to get back up to speed, but almost 3000 new posts in Miscellany alone! I miss you guys, and I'll try to check in more often.

#138829 02/08/05 09:44 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hi Dave, good to see you back! Interesting concept, too – thanks for posting it.

It’s a potentially useful description, I think. Although I understand what’s being referred to in the suggestion that it is a subcategory of "false friend", I think in practice this is a bit of a sideshow. After all, surely the process underlying this ‘change of meaning’ is about the difference between denotation and connotation. For example, in the case of a new drink featuring an infusion of dried leaves, if your only connotative experience in the domestic culture is of ‘Indian’ tea then that is what the word will come to denote. If in the foreign culture you have a connotative experience that suggests a wide range of drinks, the word will denote a less specific meaning.

Conversely to that narrowing of denotation is what happens when our experience of potential meaning expands. By the time you have umpteen connotations of tea ranging across the whole spectrum of ‘bits of plant and fruit extracts infused with hot water’ we then do a retrofit by labelling them ‘Indian tea’, ‘herb tea’ and so on. Yeah, we even have a special word for this process… ;)

#138830 02/08/05 10:53 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
A "passport word" is a word that means something general in another language, but which is imported into English to mean something specifically from a country or area where that language is used.

This process of converting a general word into a specific trace element has a counterpart in the way we view other cultures, as Aorto explains in another thread. We know only a tiny bit and we make that tiny bit into the whole.

Aorto gave the example of "Ya mon" representing all of Jamaican culture*, as I recall. Tsuwm came up with a word she liked to describe this phenomenon: desublimation.

Hope u come back, Flatlander.

re Conversely to that narrowing of denotation is what happens when our experience of potential meaning expands. Yeah, we even have a special word for this process… ;)

Enjoyed your analysis, Maverick. But then you left me hanging.

What's the special word for this process - where the original essence or "denotation" expands into an entire range of products? Marketing?

All the leading consumer multi-nationals do it. Nike is the best example I can think of. Nike began with track shoes in 1962 [I just checked it out].

Nike and the American Body

Nike appears atop the cultural pyramid and has perched there longer than most companies could dream. Katz (1994) descries that "special Nike strain of the myriad intricacies of cool," whereby Nike has come to interject itself into the fabric of culture by defining what it means to be irreverent, athletic, and entirely 'with it.'

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/am483_97/projects/hincker/nike.html

Maybe SWOOSH would be a good word for the phenomenon you are describing, Maverick.

* Here's what Aorto said [in "Is there a word for ...?" thread, Q&A]:

Here's an example. My spouse is from Jamaica. We all know the cliche, the 'Ya mon' which brings to mind Jamaicans with dreadlocks. Aside from the fact that it is mispronounced by everyone, the cultural meaning is lost.

#138831 02/09/05 12:10 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

Tsuwm came up with a word she liked to describe this phenomenon: desublimation

Tsuwmamaman.

Just to clarify the 8antecedent...

#138832 02/09/05 03:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsuwm came up with a word she liked to describe this phenomenon: desublimation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsuwmamaman.

Just to clarify the 8antecedent...

that's as may be; but what was the poor womoon to do when her precedent was the lady woom I was responding to my own self?

---

that's one real obscure literary allusion back there, is what that is.

Croak of vast manless moonless womoonless marsh.

#138833 02/09/05 03:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
furthermoreover and in the second place, it's the Lunar New Year.

-joe (woo-woo-woo) friday

#138834 02/09/05 03:33 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Athena Nike:

Goddess of Victory

Here's a photo of the Temple of Athena Nike:

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Temple_of_Athena_Nike.html

So, Nike is a twice-passported word.

#138835 02/09/05 04:03 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
So, Nike is a twice-passported word.

Very clever, Wordwind. :)

Some Greek atheletes flew to glory in Athena Nikes last summer - which is fitting because Athena Nike has no wings in the Acropolis.

Large parts of the entry to the Acropolis are still standing. Just next to the entrance is the little Ionic temple of Athena Nike (Victorious Athena). It was built as a home for Athena during the construction of the Parthenon. The interesting thing is, this tiny temple took longer to build than the Parthenon itself!

Nike is the goddess of victory, and
the Greeks broke her wings so that she would stay in Greece. Therefore, this statue of Nike here was wingless. Now, the statue is kept in the Museum of Louvre at Paris.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:_2pe6NnQvUsJ:album.alexfung.info/
album/med99/greece.htm+athena+nike+at+Olympics+in+Greece&hl=en

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith