Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T

I have decided to set a new World record for the  longests and the thinnest single sentence ever written on a single line  by mortal man in the history of mankind which I calculate that by next December the twenty-third of this year my narrow sentence should streach from Viola (where I live) to Oneonta, the county seat located ten miles away, which will require me to write about twenty-five  yards of coherent script a day which is a lot but I will do it because I want to get listed in the Guinness Book of World Records like my friend "Tank" but also I want tto make a point about the nature of writing on a computer to underline the fact  that space and space are different whe comparing space on a computer screen to space on paper of which I think I am now up to about thirty yards so I'll stop for the day but... 

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it's an exercise in futility, milum. no matter what you end up with, someone can come along and add a few words stating that themilum has "decided to set a new World record for the  longests and the thinnest single sentence ever written on a single line  by mortal man in the history of mankind which I calculate that by next December the twenty-third of this year my narrow sentence should streach from Viola (where I live) to Oneonta, the county seat located ten miles away, which will require me to write about twenty-five  yards of coherent script a day which is a lot but I will do it because I want to get listed in the Guinness Book of World Records like my friend "Tank" but also I want tto make a point about the nature of writing on a computer to underline the fact  that space and space are different whe comparing space on a computer screen to space on paper of which I think I am now up to about thirty yards so I'll stop for the day but..." 

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but by googling
guiness "longest sentence"
I got several interesting hits, including this one:

Linguist Steven Pinker illustrates this point in his book “The Language Instinct” by improving on the Guinness Book of Records entry for the longest sentence in English: (1,300 words, from William Faulkner’s “Absalom, Absalom!”): They both bore it as though in deliberate flagellant exaltation...

Steve Pinker’s new submission: Faulkner wrote, “They both bore it as though in deliberate flagellant exaltation…

edit: searching for "guinness" works well too.

#138539 02/02/05 04:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Life without parole. But there was a guy in Colorado a few years ago who was sentenced to something like 3700 years in total sentence, the individual sentences to be served consecutively.

TEd
M
M
Neat trick
tsuwm,
but hey,
just 'cause
you and Pinker
don't trust
your fellow
man, doesn't mean
that I, the Milum, must play by your cute rules. If you and Pinker and Faulkner were still nipicking the rules we would still be shuffling off to quilting bees and Iron Man competitions on foot rather than riding in our nice Xk-Vees and our automatic transmission EV-kayes, but thank you anyway tsuwm for your signature nitpick when you felt it in good form to publicly correct my "Q" to the more traditional "G" in Quinness.

I apologise...I am only more or less human.

#138541 02/02/05 10:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

thank you anyway tsuwm for your signature nitpick when you felt it in good form to publicly correct my "Q" to the more traditional "G" in Quinness.

am I missing the humor.. again?

my "signature nitpick" was aimed at myself, as I really did
use guiness "longest sentence" in my original
google; and still found the Pinker reference.

that's one(1) g and one(1) n.

#138542 02/02/05 11:37 PM
M
M
Sorry tsuwm, I just assumed I erred. I usually err
happily but I am most unhappy when you err. You are
sharp and I am slack and I don't want to be sharp
with the attendant responsibilities.

Get well soon.

#138543 02/02/05 11:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm beginning to see the light, milum.
You're a Pantagruelist.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 414 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith