Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131823 08/19/04 06:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Most kids know that there is this pink seasoned sausage which, between two slices of bread, becomes an integral part of a bologna sandwich ... or a baloney sandwich. But which sandwich is it?

The word "bologna" comes from the city in north central Italy where some similar sausages are made, only they are called mortadella by the people who make and eat them there. This (city and sandwich) is pronounced buh-LOH-nuh or buh-LOH-nyuh.

Who knows where the word baloney comes from? It is pronounced buh-LOH-nee and is used perhaps more by children than adults ... perhaps because children consume more of this particular sandwich than do adults.

When colloquialized, one suspects that the latter pronunciation is used almost exclusively, as in "That's a bunch of baloney" used to mean nonsense, foolishness, malarkey.

Baloney? Whence?

#131824 08/20/04 12:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Doctor Bill sent me this website and it is (moderately) helpful. No baloney.

http://www.birch.net/~lindabrown/000079.htm

#131825 08/20/04 01:55 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I've never heard anyone pronounce the word for the sandwich meat like the city. If I ever heard anyone asking for, or speaking of, a bo-lone-ya sandwich, I would have to think he/she was disgustingly twee, or was just discovering it.

Apropos of this, I am reminded of the following joke by, I think, Rodney Dangerfield:

What do you get if you cross a crocodile with an abalone? A crockabalone.

This is on a par with, What do you get if you cross a bumblebee with a doorbell? A humdinger.

#131826 08/20/04 02:14 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I've always called it mortadella. Baloney is something the non-Italians put in their wonderbread sandwiches along with the library paste and tasteless yellow stuff.

#131827 08/20/04 02:47 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Well you learn something every day. Until now I didn't realise that baloney and mortadella were one and the same. Here in Australia it is always referred to as mortadella. I thought baloney was something of an equivilent to our devon.

#131828 08/20/04 03:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
"mortadella = Bologna sausage. (American)"

~Rodney Dale, The Wordsworth Dictionary of Culinary and Menu Terms Ware, Herts.: Worsdworth Editions, 2000, p. 288.

About "devon" see
http://www.anu.edu.au/ANDC/Ozwords/November_98/2._regionalisms.htm

#131829 08/20/04 04:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

If I ever heard anyone asking for, or speaking of, a bo-lone-ya sandwich, I would have to think he/she was disgustingly twee, or was just discovering it.

Whereas I have to consciously remind myself that you USn's do a Throatwarbler Mangrove on the name of that ancient seat of learning. One of my sammarinese friends dismisses mortadella as inferior prosciutto, for the budget-conscious eater.

#131830 08/20/04 08:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My kids are on a first-name basis with it so they call it oscar.

TEd
#131831 08/21/04 02:19 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Shellb, Max et al.: To say that mortadella and bologna are the same thing is like saying that hamburger is the same as filet mignon.

Firstly, bologna is made entirely of very finely ground meat with a uniform color and texture. Secondly, bologna is made of pork and beef in some proportion or other. In my family, bologna sandwiches were eaten when you ran out of anything better, or when you couldn't afford anything better.

Italian mortadella, and its USn imitations, is usually somewhat larger and also comes in a considerably larger piece the slices of which are larger than a large slice of bread. It is somewhat more coarsely ground than bologna and it has rather large white globs in it (lard). It may also have pistachios in it. A sandwich of pistachio mortadella is no cheap plebean bologna sandwich. The taste of bologna and American mortadella is, however, similar, the reason being that they are both made of pork, veal, and/or beef.

Italian mortadella, however, has a better flavor and the reason is (did you know this, Max) -- it's made with horsemeat!

Italian (horsemeat) mortadella can not be made in the U.S. or imported into the U.S.; only the imitation is available here, since it is illegal everywhere to sell horsemeat for human consumption. Pity. The USDA and other USn state authorities could learn a lot from a boucherie chevaline or macelleria cavallina. Horsemeat is quite tasty.

#131832 08/21/04 02:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
mortadella=horsemeat

This page, http://www.milioni.com/salumi/dati/8.htm, seems to suggest that this is not always the case, if I understood this paragraph correctly:
In reply to:

Sull'etichetta (per i prodotti confezionati sottovuoto) o sul bollo attaccato a una delle estremità della mortadella si può verificare immediatamente la provenienza delle carni utilizzate per produrla: se c'è una "S" vuoi dire che è di puro suino, se c'è una "B" di suino e bovino, se c'è una "O" che è prodotta anche con carni ovine infine, se c'è una "C", significa che tra gli ingredienti figura anche la carne di cavallo.

Unless I am much mistaken, the above says that there are different letters used to indicate the type(s) of meat used in the production of any given mortadella. So, if the mortadella one bought did not have the letter "C" (for "cavallo", presumably) on it, then no horsemeat was used in its production.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith