About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130820 07/28/04 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Have you ever wanted to get something from a web site but been unwilling to go through all their hassles with registration. Then this site's for you:

http://www.bugmenot.com

It has access names and passwords for over 18000 websites. When you want an article from the NY Times (Jackie, are you listening? At least I think it was Jackie) all you have to do is go to bugmenot, get the userid and password, and you own the site.

The other one is a bit more subtle. but also potentially as useful. There are times when someone wants your email to send you something but you are uncomfortable passing out the one you use all the time lest it end up on a spam list.

Make up an email address with the extension @mailinator.com and give it to the person asking. To get your mail just go to http://www.mailinator.com and type in the userid you made up. Mailinator automatically opens an account when it receives mail if it doesn't have an account there already with that name. And you just go retreive your mail!

I haven't tried mailinator, though I will when I get finished posting this, but I did try bugmenot.com and it works.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, TEd.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is great stuff! But what do they get out of it?

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
<go to bugmenot,get the userid, and you own the site.>

Hey Ted,
bugmenot is buggin' me. Maybe I'm denser than most. I create my account, with name and password. Next I enter the URL of a site I want to reach. Then the only place to click is Show Logins. How do I get to the site I want?
slithy

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
they purposely make the sites non-clickable, to foil referral detection of their own site I imagine. you prolly captured the url you wanted to access in the first place, so just note the id and password (always identical??) and plug the url back in to your browser and GO.

and what do they gain? well, it could be a scam; or they could be after Fame and Fortune (Google started in a dorm room, you'll recall).

p.s. - you should check out their FAQ.

F
addict
addict
F
TEd, Bugmenot and Mailinator both sit next to each other on my Links toolbar, and are often used. Mailinator works great, especially for signing up for those sites that require a valid email, as they send a confirmation message to that address before you are signed up.

Slithy, the easiest way to use Bugmenot is to use the "bookmarklet" they have created. Drag it to your Bookmarks menu, and when you are on the registration page for a site, click on the "bookmarklet" and it will open up a new window with (at least) one ID and password for the site you are currently on.

I've been an evangelist for these two ingenious sites for months now, and it is good to hear word is starting to spread.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 894 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith