Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15311 01/11/01 06:22 PM
J
OP Offline
J
When our imagination makes us see something that is not real we speak of a “vision”.
But, if we hear something that does not exist?. We definitely don’t have an “audition”.
I know a medical word in Spanish “acúfeno” but this is not the word I’m looking for. This word is for buzzes or ticks that can be heard as a result of some pathology. I’m looking for a word that describes the hearing of a ghostly voice or music.

Juan Maria.

#15312 01/11/01 06:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>But, if we hear something that does not exist?. We definitely don’t have an “audition”.

I generally just refer to them as "the guys hwo tell me what to do and when to load my guns."

TEd
#15313 01/11/01 06:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
juanmaria pregunta: When our imagination makes us see something that is not real we speak of a “vision”. But, if we hear something that does not exist?

Don't know a specific single word for it; we usually just speak of "hearing voices".

#15314 01/11/01 07:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"hearing voices" is a type of "auditory hallucination" -- I don't think there's a single word for it, but.

#15315 01/12/01 05:02 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> I’m looking for a word that describes the hearing of a ghostly voice or music.

Chants have that other world quality though they are not hallucinatory or ghostly - maybe invoke hallucinations or ghosts.

I was wondering what makes a chant a chant?
Is it only the intonation or does it prescribe to certain rules of poetry?
Does it necessarily have certain rhyme scheme and number of basic lines that are then repeated?

#15316 01/12/01 02:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

I was wondering what makes a chant a chant?
Does it necessarily have certain rhyme scheme and number of basic lines that are then repeated?

I am not one much for music -- what with, i lack the ability to carry a tune even in a bucket-- but some chants, Gregorian chant- does follow rules, so many syllables on one note, and then depending on end of sentence or something- one note higher or lower-
I was taught the rules.. but i don't think the music teacher could have gotten them to in my head with anything less than trepanation--and even that would not have been effective. Someone here might know, or you could LIU-- there are i am sure other types of chant besides Gregorian (or why else would it be modified?) but i can't think of any by name.

#15317 01/12/01 02:37 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
to carry a tune even in a bucket

You little beauty! What a great turn of phrase - I shall steal this.

#15318 01/12/01 03:05 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Poster: maverick
Subject: Re: Visions
to carry a tune even in a bucket
You little beauty! What a great turn of phrase - I shall steal this.

Dear Helen of Troy,
You must have been listening to my Dad!
He delivered a song with great bravura but his voice was so off-key Mother used to say he "couldn't carry a tune in a covered bucket."
Dad countered with "If you can't sing good, sing loud!"
He used to try to sing us to sleep with his favorite lullaby "Go to sleep my little Buckeroo"
Thanks for reminding me of some happy childhood memories.
wow

#15319 01/12/01 03:43 PM
S
S
There's a great story of a priest admonishing his flock about their lack of enthusiasm while singing hymns. He told them that for those blessed with good voices, this was their chance to praise God. For those unblessed, it was their chance to get back at Him.

#15320 01/12/01 03:55 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
What makes a chant a chant?
What we commonly call "chants" are generically referred to as "plainchants"; Gregorian chants are a specific type of plainchant, those written strictly according to the rules laid down by Pope Gregory the Great, as subsequently modified at various times. Plainchants differ from other music in that a) they are written to be sung unaccompanied, or a capella -- there are no instrumental chants; b) their text is always a religious text and in Latin (always, up to the Reformation, still sometimes in Latin thereafter); c) they do not have a set time signature, like 3/4, 4/4 -- there are rules for part of a verse, but a large part may be sung on one note as long as necessary to fit the text into the musical tune; d) they are not written in the keys which we are familiar with, but they may be in one of the Grecian modes. There are various other rules, such as that the range of the tune never extends as far as an octave, and the technical rules for the construction of a chant tune.

In addition to plainchants, there are also Anglican chants, peculiar to Anglican churches, which are a harmonic form of chant, based on plainchant tunes, which are written in the standard keys and which generally have organ accompaniment.

Some of the great works of Western music have developed out of chants. Many of the chorale preludes of the North German composers, as well as J.S. Bach and his contemporaries, are based on hymn tunes which are themselves derived from ancient chants, like Allein Gott in der Höh' sei Ehr and Vater Unser in Himmelreich.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith