Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Stickers on the shop windows for Marks and Spencers' Christmas putsch. Theme of single words nice and bold with small Christmassy icons alongside. One such sticker spelled:

irresistable

Aaaarrrgghhhh!

If Marks and Sparks has come to this, the UK is doomed. Might as well buy a ton of Heinz beanz and head for Montana.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Yuck. Were they going for something in particular? Eg. Was this a purposeful misspelling so that they could use the A to creat sAnta by aligning all the individual words?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh-- i would have thought, sight unseen, it was in the linen or tableware department -- with a christmas place settings, dishes, or table cloths.

but going totally of thread.....

I would never think of Heinz beans for Montana-- here about, Heinz doesn't mean beanz--and Montana seems more like a chili place to me.

but like BBQ- how you define chili in US is very subjective, and almost everyone is strongly opinionated about it. (I actually am pretty open about what passes for chili... but even i have some standards.)

For the first time in my life! i sent back food in a restaurant just this week. I ordered chili and got a bowl of mixed beans (okay) with some vegetables (okay)and chopped (ground) beef, (okay) in a molasses/tomato based sauce(Molases? in chili?Auugh!) that had some hot pepper sauce (not chili's!) added to it. --and it was served with out fresh chopped onion or saltines!

i am willing to take a fair amount of variety in chili-- it should be made with chunks of chuck, but ground chuck will pass, and i like a mix of beans (and personally prefer some of the smaller beans, pink beans, i.e.,) instead of just using kidney beans. tomatoes are okay, so long as they don't dominate, and chili should have chilies not just chili powder.. (but even that would be better than molasses).

Molasses in beans = New England style baked beans.. (heinz beans are pale imitation of the best baked beans, which are to be found, on sundays, at churches "old home days" through out New England--and WoW might be able to further refine where..) and as different from chili as, as, as....
as English in US is different from English in England!

Standards! crashing down everywhere!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Quote from of troy : Molasses in beans = New England style baked beans.. (heinz beans are pale imitation of the best baked beans, which are to be found, on sundays, at churches "old home days" through out New England--and WoW might be able to further refine where..) and as different from chili as, as, as....
as English in US is different from English in England!

I wince when I see New England stye.... as if it were the real thing rather than some commercial bastardization.
I won't burden you with a recipe but REAL New England Baked Beans are made with dark molasses and BAKED in ovens, preferable brick ovens such as bakers use, and preferably overnight. For our Yankee forebears from sunset Saturday to sunset Sunday was a time of rest and worship. Beans were put in heavy beanpots and cooked in a slow oven all day Saturday, taken out Sunday and put on the table for the main meal.
The commercial product closest to the Real Thing is B&M Baked Beans. B&M was started by George Burnham and Charles Morrill in 1867 and they packaged all types of fish and also corn. In 1901 George (Charles's son) becomes sole proprietor,. In 1927 after years of experiments, B&M began selling brick oven baked beans in cans.
Primary competition for B&M is Campbell Co. and Heinz which produce canned pork-and-beans. Quite different! In NE, Friend's Baked Beans offers B&M some competition.
B&M and Friend's are the only true NE baked beans. We Yankees mostly prefer B&M even though they are 50 % per pound more expensive....and we can tell the difference between Friend's and B&M, but it takes a refined Northern palate!
The popular Campbell, Heinz and VanCamp beans are steamed in cans with a tomato sauce mix. THEY ARE NOT NEW ENGLAND even in their "STYLE!"
New England Baked Beans may be made using either brown sugar or molasses.
According to my sources, B&M are available in all 50 states and have been seen in food stores in London --- my guess would be Fortnum's ??? --- There is a pretty-well-accepted story that when the British warships stopped in Florida on the way to the Falklands, they picked up B&M Baked Beans.
As an aside : When the "Minerva" visited Portsmouth NH in early 1970s they bought B&M ... after having a Yankee breakfast of eggs, ham or bacon and baked beans!
For The Real Thing, get invited to the home of someone who has the time to soak bean overnight and then afford to run thier oven for 12 to 18 hours OR go to local church suppers especially on a Saturday for Ham n'Bean Supper....yum!
Aloha to all
WOW.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shanks ranted: If Marks and Sparks has come to this, the UK is doomed. Might as well buy a ton of Heinz beanz and head for Montana

Still beats the hey out of the Egyptian themes at Harrods, don' it? And Montana will be soooooooo cold at this time of year.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Poor baby, Try not to look. Here in States a spelling is sometimes perverted in order to copyright it. But I can't say that could have been the intent with comfortAble.
It's the thin edge of the wedge, my friend, the thin edge of the wedge. [sad]
If it's Marks Sppencer now.... can Harrods and Fortnum's be far behind?Sigh, wow

#12476 12/08/00 08:12 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Molasses in beans = New England style baked beans
Dear of Troy, You are right molasses does equal New England baked beans.
When I wrote New England Style makes me wince, I meant I wince when I see it printed on food labels! Things are either prepared exactly as we do in New England or they're not!
If the product(s) is/are an adaption of a New England product, shouldn't it say : In the style of.... ???
wow

#12477 12/08/00 09:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
of troy said: but like BBQ- how you define chili in US is very subjective

My favorite chili was the chili at the Franciscan Cafe in Flagstaff, AZ. Primary ingredients were strips of jalapeņos and strips of pork with a goodly splash of garlic Nary a bean in sight. Bits of the recipe were distributed among the various principals of the Cafe, primarily the cook, the boss lady and the eldest son, with no one knowing the entire recipe. I (the dishwasher) was trying to be the only person who knew the whole recipe. I never made it.

#12478 12/09/00 01:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I highly recommend the powerders available from the Chugwater Chili Corporation in Chugwater, Wyoming, the world headquarters of which I visited this summer.

http://www.chugwaterchili.com/

#12479 12/09/00 04:33 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Cincinnati has a nice, distinctive chili. It's very thin and somewhat watery, but it has a nice mixture of spices in it, including cinnamon. This chili is served over noodles with lots of cheddar cheese on top. http://www.skylinechili.com/main.html. It may sound strange, but this is great chili, especially with hot sauce on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 585 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith