Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
I've been to see Pirates of the Caribbean twice now (such a swashbucklin' good time!). One line of dialogue escaped me the first time because I thought I'd heard one thing - but the person I went with, told me another. The second time, I was quite sure I'd heard what I'd heard, but again, the person I went with heard it differently.

It makes perfect sense the way my companions heard it - but the way I heard it, there's an added twist.

Anyone Out There who's seen it, please tell me what YOU heard when one of the undead pirates says, in the last third of the movie (in the treasure cave on Isla de Muerte, if I'm spelling that right - consuela?!) "Parlez, parlez, who came up with [or thought of] parlez?!" and Captain Jack responds:

1. That would be the French.
2. That would be the Flinch.

Of course it was the French who came up with "parlez." But since it's a word pirates use to try to get out of a scrape, by negotiating a little more time in which to negotiate/think/plan a way out of the mess they're in, "flinch" makes it somewhat funnier, to my way of thinking - close enough to French to get that that's the origin of the word, but with that delightful added touch of irony.

And honest, it SOUNDS as though he says, "That would be the flinch."

Anyone else who's seen it, hear what I heard?

Edit: Hah! Whoops. I'd spelled it "parlay" when I first composed it, thought, "Nah, that's wrong, it's French, it must be parlez." Shoulda gone with my gut - just looked it up and it's parlay.

V
vbq Offline
journeyman
journeyman
V
I've been to see Pirates of the Caribbean twice now

Any performance in particular which brought you back a 2nd time, mg? I agree, it was a "swashbucklin' good movie".

By the way, dictionary says "parlay" comes from different root than french "parlez". See below:

[Alteration of paroli, staking of double the sum staked before in faro, from French, from obsolete Italian, probably from Italian parare, to place a bet, from Latin parre, to prepare. See pare.]

#109551 08/09/03 05:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
MG, you spelled Isla de Muerte correctly, BUT, check my name!

#109552 08/10/03 12:42 AM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
connie, my apologies! what a gaffe! urgh....

M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
By the way, dictionary says "parlay" comes from different root than french "parlez".

This sent me back to MY dictionary for a second look, where I found another word, "parley," which it says is "an informal conference, under truce, with an enemy, for discussing the mutual arrangement of matters such as terms for armistace, exchange of prisoners, etc." For derivation, it says, "perhaps from Old French parlee, fem. past part. of parler."

vbq, you didn't happen to notice the pronunciation of French/Flinch at that moment, did you?

Any performance in particular which brought you back a 2nd time, mg?

Johnny Depp, of course! A fabulous fey pirate. But I enjoyed the whole thing so much, from start to finish....I'd give it a 9/10, and it only loses a point for some glaring anachronisms (young Elizabeth Swann telling young Will Turner, "It's okay," and later, adult Elizabeth being asked by her father, through a closed door, "Are you decent?" are just two that spring immediately to mind.)

I enjoyed all the swordplay immensely, being a former fencer; and I love the stirring, majestic soundtrack (I'm listening to it now, aksherly); and every escape made me hug myself with glee. I loved that there were no blacks and whites - you could feel some compassion for everyone in the film. (Especially that poor baddie who longed to be able to afford a real glass eye, instead of the wooden one that kept giving him splinters....)

And it contains one of my fave dialogue exchanges in my movie-going history, which I will put in white so anyone who doesn't even want to know this much about the movie can avoid it:

- Which side is Jack on?
- [beat] At the moment?

Priceless!

And the beautiful ships...and the wonderful costumes (especially Jack's)...and the plucky female character...and the treasure...and...and...and...It's just great escapist cinema.

#109554 08/10/03 12:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No hay de que.
[where's the pirate winkin' emoticon?]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I went to see it twice in the last two days and agree with you on just about everthing, mg. My first movie star crush was on Errol Flynn as Captain Blood and I'm such a sucker for pirates like him . Will Turner had a few of the Errol Flynn facial quirks goin' on as well. Sorry to tell you that both times I heard "French". Another thing I really liked about the movie was the heroine didn't stand around waiting for the hero to save her. She had ideas and was able to back them up with action. Wasn't it cool that the writers kicked the vocabulary up a notch? I've asked a few people what their favorite line from this movie is and all have replied that there are so many good ones they can't possibly choose one. All in all, well worth the cost of admission!

BTW, my father has had a saying for as far back as I remember "Tell them the truth, they'll never believe you." If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Just saw it and loved it. Someone at work saw an interview in which Johnny Depp said that he based his character on a combination of Kieth Richards and Pepe le Pieuw. (For non-N Amer's a cartoon skunk convinced that the horrified kitty is in love with him but playing hard to get. "Ah, she pretend to run away, how sweet")

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Flinch?

Sounded sorta like flinch to me, but Capt Jack had sort of a delicate, almost lisping, way of speaking.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
More like he was trying to keep from hurting his tongue on the gold teeth.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith