Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108753 07/26/03 10:00 PM
E
E.E.S Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Being a violinist and music aficionado, it has always bothered me that I know of no term which groups all types of so-called "classical" music (i.e. Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic etc.) together. If one is speaking of all these epochs but wishes to still be technically correct, I believe they must refer to each one by one. So, does anyone know of a more efficient word?

#108754 07/26/03 10:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That which we laughingly refer to as "serious music".

#108755 07/26/03 10:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When National Public Radio was given the Peabody Award in 1999 for its daily program "Performance Today," the citation was "in recognition of more than a decade of entertaining listeners and making serious music both contemporary and accessible." And the Peabody people weren't laughing.

#108756 07/26/03 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the Peabody people weren't laughing

That's their problem.

#108757 07/26/03 10:29 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
mmm, I think this {edit: referring to 'serious music'} is about the only cover-all I know, which has the merit of covering say Steve Reich and Philip Glass and so on as well...

[digression] Went to one of the best concerts of my life on Friday night, at St Georges in Bristol: Nikolai Demidenko and Alexi Andreev playing Russian works for two pianos, including simply stunning renditions of Rachmaninov that made you want to cheer for being human! It came in a week when I became without work, but it was an heroic occasion that left me nothing short of exultant. By the time they had played four encores, we felt duty bound to let them go and soak their fevered brows - but if you ever get the chance to see them do this kind of programme (they tour a bit) seize it! Sell your grandmother, whatever...

[/digression]

#108758 07/26/03 11:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...to still be technically correct, I believe they must refer to each one by one.

Hear, here!!!

------------

So, does anyone know of a more efficient word?

Since none of those musics were particularly efficient (OK, maybe Renaissance) I don't believe grouping them *deserves and efficient word.

Good to hear you back, E.E.S.

#108759 07/26/03 11:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I find this "classical" thing very amusing, aksherly. It brings out the presciptivist in the most ardent of our descriptivists. In reality, it's a good catch-all phrase for the music you describe, but since our most devout descriptivists happen to be musos they turn passionately prescriptivist whenever anyone pushes this button.

#108760 07/27/03 01:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think "classical" works fine, and if you need more description, you can give the more specific as well. when it works, use lower case for the general term, and uppercase for the specific era. I often use the term 20th Century classical music. works great.

formerly known as etaoin...
#108761 07/27/03 06:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The other half of my (Gemini) personality *seems to disagree with your assessment. I'm only trying to describe my own usage and, therefore, add some credence to the *old axiom "A culture of one is as valuable as a culture of a million".

My other other half also finds it amusing and is sure you're not talking about us...

#108762 07/27/03 06:50 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are people for whom the term 'baroque' has very little meaning; there are people for whom the names of Bach and Tellemann have very little meaning. However, if I use the term 'classical' music in describing, for instance, a wonderful Bach organ prelude I'd heard in a church somewhere, there are people who would have a sense of the kind of music of which I was speaking, even though I'd known I was actually thinking of baroque music. For me to use the term 'baroque' would be to cause a log jam in understanding. If I'm teaching a lesson--well, that's altogether different. I'm an educator. But what a boorish snob I would be to educate a casual acquaintance who simply wanted to know, "Do you really like classical music like Bach's and Beethoven's?"

To turn the tables, I sometimes incorrectly refer to something my almost 21-year-old daughter is listening to as 'rock.' She becomes a little crazy when I do this. She begins to lecture me on why whatever she is listening to is not, in fact, rock, but something else. And then she lectures me on the fine points of what it is that I have incorrectly identified as 'rock.'

Her lecture is really lost on me, just as my own on baroque music would be lost on someone outside of the circle of 'serious' (hahaha) music lovers. My daughter's 'rock' music will always be 'rock' music to me since I really don't ever expect to spend my time trying to learn the differences in popular, often very loud music. And to most people who really don't gravitate toward 'classical' music in all of its forms and guises, that 'longhair' music is immediately identified as 'classical.' And I don't have a problem with their identification of it as classical, even though I know the truth. They can happily spend their time sorting and classifying their rock and I'll happily spend my time sorting and classifying my classical. And many of you here can happily spend time sorting and classifying both rock and classical. But we know of what we're talking, don't we?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith