W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
pointe 7pwant8
n.,
pl. pointes 7pwant8 5Fr, point6 Ballet (the position of being on) the tip of the toe

poise 1 7p.z8
n.
5ME pois, weight < OFr < VL *pesum < L pensum, something weighed < pendere, to weigh: see PENDANT6
1 balance; stability
2 ease and dignity of manner; self-assurance; composure
3 the condition of being calm or serene
4 carriage; bearing, as of the body or head
5 [Now Rare] a) a suspension of activity in a condition of balance b) suspense; irresolution; indecision
vt.
poised, pois4ing 5ME poisen < OFr poiser < peise, inflected form of peser, to weigh < VL pesare < L pensare, to weigh out < pensus, pp. of pendere6
1 to balance; keep steady
2 to suspend: usually passive or reflexive
3 [Rare] to weigh
vi.
1 to be suspended or balanced
2 to hover
—SYN TACT

poise 2 7p.z8
n.
5Fr, after J. L. M. Poiseuille (1799-1869), Fr anatomist6 the cgs unit of viscosity of a liquid, equal to one dyne-second per square centimeter: abbrev. P

poitrine 7pwD trcn$8
n.
5Fr6 the breast or chest; esp., a woman‘s bosom, when full and shapely

Poitrel (Page: 106)
Poi"trel (?), n. [OE. poitrel, F. poitrail, fr. L. pectorale a breastplate, fr. pectoralis, a. See Pectoral, a.] (Anc. Armor) The breastplate of the armor of a horse. See Peytrel. [Obs.] Chaucer.

Sauce Poivrade. A sauce made of beef stock, vinegar, onions, & carrots

>poke[weed 7pbk4wcd#8
n.
5see POKE36 a North American plant (Phytolacca americana) of the pokeweed family, with clusters of purplish-white flowers, reddish-purple berries, and smooth leaves and stems: the roots and berry seeds are poisonous
adj.
designating a family (Phytolaccaceae, order Caryophyllales) of dicotyledonous trees, shrubs, and plants

polestar 7pbl4st9r#8
Polaris, the North Star: also Pole Star
n.
1 a guiding principle
2 a center of attraction
Everyone (in Norathern Hemispherere) should know how to recognize Stella Polaris, and teach it to their kids.

polarimeter n.
5POLARI(ZE) + 3METER6
1 an instrument for measuring the degree of polarization of light, or the amount of polarized light in a ray
2 a polariscope made esp. for measuring the optical activity of a substance, esp. a liquid
polarimetric 7pb lar#i me4trik8
adj.
polarime[try 73trc8
n.
pollard
n.
5prec. + 3ARD6
1 a hornless goat, deer, ox, etc.
2 a tree with its top branches cut back to the trunk, so as to cause a dense growth of new shoots
vt.
to change into a pollard
Here in southern California the trees in the city grow very well, but the tops grow faster than the root system can keep in balance, because of so much pavement. They become unhealthy, and have to be pruned so much I thought the
trees might be killed. I was amazed at how quickly they recovered, and branched so profusely the cut branch ends were invisible. I never before knew the meaning
of “pollardize”.

Pollyanna
n.
5name of the young heroine of novels by Eleanor H. Porter (1868-1920), U.S. writer6 an excessively or persistently optimistic person
I haven’t seen this used for many years.
polydactylous - having more than five fingers. I have seen a boy with two thumbs on each hand, but the extra ones could not be used, and were removed.

pomeridian = blooms after noon - e.g. four-o’clock

pompeil - a moderate to deep reddish brown
p

#105623 06/14/03 02:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re:polydactylous - having more than five fingers.

Anne Boylen was alleged to be polydactylous, and to have an extra pink.. as were some of the Steward Kings (and would be Kings)

Jenny Radcliffe, the only daughter of Charles Radcliffe, the last Earl of Derwentwater (a name now corrupted into 'devil's water', near newcastle) in the north of England) was second cousin to Bonny Prince Charles,(wrong side of the blanket!) and, she too had the was polydactylous.

she immigrated to what was then virginia, and later moved to the 'frontier' (near south carolina /west virgina boarder.) --an area today, that is know for a slightly higher incidence of polydactylism! (she did have 8 children that survived to adulthood!)

#105624 06/14/03 04:56 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
At the CMG in Lewiston,ME, I saw a man nicknamed "Fivefinger Joe" because he had no thumbs, an exta index finger replacing them. I was told that a few of his relatives had sme condition. Allegedly related to inbreeding.

#105625 06/15/03 07:46 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
"pompeil - a moderate to deep reddish brown"

Is this related to 'Pompei'/'Pompeii,' the ancient city, by any chance?

#105626 06/15/03 10:26 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The spelling bee list did not define it, and I have been unable to find a definition of it with etymology.
I too wondered if that were the origin. I've seen pictrues of Pompeii, but never say any deep red or orange in the excavated lava. Fashion dictates poetic names for colors, and isn't scrupulous about veracity.

#105627 06/16/03 12:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just a WAG, but i would think its related to apples.. pommes in frence, and pommegranites (seed apples) and other pom(p) words..i know apples are not a big crop in italy, (generaly, apples like it cooler) but red/apple/pom seems a likely connection. there are many places with red clay -which is often red/brown, but i don't know of any red lava's.. (jasper is metamorphic right?)

#105628 06/17/03 04:09 AM
old hand
old hand
but i don't know of any red lava

There are two towns in Northern California: Redding and Red Bluff, which are so named because of the red earth, which is of volcanic origin. Mount Shasta nearby is still technically an active volcano.

Squid! Are you there?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 437 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith