About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#104123 06/11/03 11:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i've always seen it spelled 'silkies' but selkies is a little closer to how i say it..

has anyone seen the secret of roan inish'? or under the glacier (that's an icelandic film!)- both feature silkies and the silkie myths.. and its not just men who are silkies, more often than not, it is women who fall in love with a fisherman, and follow him back to shore, and come to live with him (where would a male seal have a chance to meet a woman?)

and many stories involve fisherman being saved by their wifes, who in storms, went back into the sea to save their beloved husbands. (and some stories are tragic, of men who steal the silkies skin, and keep them trapped on shore.. and later, die at sea, since their wifes cannot put on there skin and rescue them..)

the secret of roan inish is available in most 'blockbuster' or other large chains, sometimes its in the childrens section.. (it works on several levels, and kids can enjoy it as a fairy tale like movie.)

#104124 06/11/03 01:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My understanding of the Black Irish/Scots (the Scots were just Irish who left for Caledonia about the time the Romans were leaving Britain*) is that the line of descent came from the eastern Mediterranean. The same people who were ancestors to the Phoenicians had migrated across North Africa and left behind Carthaginians, came up through Spain leaving folks there and going on to Ireland. These were not, as I remember, Celts but were the people who lived in Ireland when the Celts moved in their own selves. That's the way I have it tucked away in my tiny little brain.

*This may be one of the reasons the Picts started moving in on civilized Britain causing the Britons, who had lost their Roman protectors, to call on the Angles, Saxons and Jutes for help, thus setting up the circumstances that left us with this lovely, complex, bastard of a language that has brought us all together in this little haven we call AWADtalk

#104125 06/13/03 12:17 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
When I saw the expression Black Singers for Welsh the mental image I got was of a choir of coal miners. Like the Men of the Deep from Nova Scotia.

#104126 06/13/03 11:57 AM
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Has anyone seen Secret of Roan Inish?

Aye... That's one of my favorite movies. Every time it comes on cable I find I can't not watch it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith