Print Thread
#10476 11/15/00 11:37 PM
M
Marty Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
One of 'our' occasional contributors, jackiemw (our other Jackie), appeared here again recently seeking an answer to this week's word quiz at englishconsulting.com, at which she is a stellar performer. I happened to look at last week's question:

There are only five words in English that end in -ceed. Name all five of them--oh all right, give us just three.

[continued below - DON'T read on yet if you want to have a go first.]

ec's Answer: The words of this type most commonly thought of and given to us as an answer were exceed, proceed and succeed. There are two other, less commonly known words that end in -ceed: emceed, the past tense form of the verb emcee (as in "to emcee [i.e. be an M.C. or master of ceremonies] a game show"); and glaceed or glacéed, meaning 'glossy' or 'glazed.'

I know they appear in dictionaries of sorts, but I object strenuously to the last two.

emceed. Whilst I concede the occasional spelling-out of a letter name (such as vee for the shape of a notch), I cannot countenance the spelling out of M.C. as emcee, and its verbification increases its abhorrence to me. Have any of you actually ever seen something in print like "The show was emceed by Fred Nurk"? If for no other reason, it should be struck out on the grounds that substituting 'master of ceremonies' for emcee back in the sentence makes a nonsense of it. What's wrong with "Fred Nurk was M.C. for the show?"

glaceed. Unless I am mistaken in my French (come in, bel!), glacé(e) is already the adjective/past participle in French, and hence the 'd' is superfluous and incorrect. In fact, it's a feeble attempt to verbify in English a French adjective! I haven't checked the packets, but I'm sure we buy 'glacee cherries' here. Perhaps glaceed ones are glazed(ed) twice?

As an aside, I find it interesting that the Web has made finding answers to these types of questions so much easier. The first three occurred to me quickly. To get all five I just typed *ceed into OneLook.

#10477 11/16/00 03:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh my! you don't suppose that contributes to being a 'stellar performer', do you?!

#10478 11/17/00 02:06 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Good grief, you know our language police would be hacking away at any label that read "glaceed cherries". You are absolutely right, it is already a 'participe passé et adjectif'.

We never, ever, ever (am I being adamant enough, do you think ) add a D to our verbs to change the tense to the past. Since, in this case, it is used as an adjective I am sure you are right that it is an attempt to verbify the word (and it's not pretty). Two raspberries for the people at englishconsulting.com

#10479 11/17/00 11:58 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I object strenuously to the last two

Me too, Mr Chook. Gratuitous abuse of the language. Or even languages in the case of glaceed.

I can just about tolerate okay as a verbification of initials made sound. But beyond that, call in the Grammar Police!

P.S. I'm sure there's a neater way of saying 'verbification of initials made sound'.
'phonetic verbification'??
tsuwm - here's one's for you!

#10480 11/17/00 03:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

I'm sure there's a neater way of saying 'verbification of initials made sound'.
'phonetic verbification'??
tsuwm - here's one's for you!

I'm not aware of a single word for "phonetic spelling of initials"... I'll try asking Eminem; maybe he knows.

#10481 11/17/00 03:25 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
The question being asked some years ago was, "What succeeds?"

The answer, of course, is a toothless budgie.

#10482 11/17/00 04:51 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
'verbification of initials made sound'.

How about:
Acronymic verbing
(as in to AV and too old)

A variant example:
Hand = Have A Nice Day

#10483 11/20/00 04:24 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
'verbification of initials made sound'.
How about:
Acronymic verbing

A useful term in its own right, mav.

But to be in the same category as emcee your examples would need to be
ayvee (for Acronymic Verbing/AV)
and aitchayendee (for Have A Nice Day/HAND)

The "sounding out" of the initials - as in okay - is quite a distinct feature.
And hopefully a rarity!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 469 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith