Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I read this phrase from a book today but i cannot fully understand what does it mean
is it like "it is a driving forece in the the entrance of success"?= a key/an avenue/a read/the prerequisite/precondition to success?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sue, I can't tell, without more context. If it's something like, "His access to a lot of money was a driving force in his entrance into politics", then your idea of "key" would apply: easy money was a key force, we might say. If it was something like, "Good grades are a driving force in the entrance into a top university", then it would be seen as more of a prerequisite.
I realize there is not much actual differentiation here. The best explanation I can offer for my two examples is that, in the first instance, we are left thinking that perhaps if the candidate had NOT had a lot of money, he might not have chosen to go into politics.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If "success" is actually® the proceeding word, it may be similar to "A best practice in initiating a result-driven game plan" [self yart-e]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A driving force is the cause of someone's working toward a desired result.

"His need for money to pay bills was the driving force (behind) his working hard to accumulate wealth."

"Her love of knowledge was the driving force (behind) her pursuit of multiple academic degrees."

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
""it is a driving forece in the the entrance of success"
Dear SD: I think the big problem is that phase is the word "entrance". Success comes mostly
to the people who work hard to "achieve" it. Hard work is the principal driving force in the
achievement of success.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 428 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith