Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#83981 10/20/02 11:59 PM
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
... or mayhaps I should say, "dripping" off the tongue as "epicurean" has been a long-time favorite word, not to mention indulgence, of mine. Other words in my top-ten list (if you dare to read further) are ----*drum roll*----

Jingoism - just because it's fun to say, not because I'm a proponent (I'm Canadian afterall, eh?)

Assuage - feels like velvet in my mouth and satin in my voice

Whismy - this one is just plain ol' quaint and curious just like many a volume of forgotten lore. Quoth the raven.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hello, Raven...

ravenous...that's a bellyfull

quotidian...nothing to do with quotes other than the ho-hum ones

salve...because it sounds like what it does

I'll welcome you with the same phrase maverick welcomed me over a year ago:

Welcome to the nut house!

Bedlam regards,
Wordwind

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear qtr: So happy to see you joining us. I hope that opening will assure you of my not
intending to seem pedantic, but.....Shakespeare said "trippingly off the tongue,
and I ape him assiduously.
Also: is "whismy" a typo for "whimsy"? I am a champion at spotting other people's typos,
but miss many of mine. I'll go search for "whismy" but expect "not found".

Speak the speech, I
pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue. —Hamlet. William Shakespeare.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Whismy - this one is just plain ol' quaint and curious just like many a volume of forgotten lore. Quoth the raven.
Whimsy billows off the tongue like smoke from Gandalf's pipe, Raven, but whismy?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I like whismy because it makes me think of kismet, and that's a good tripping word, too.

Raven, don't worry about the loons. They'd never be able to perch on the bust of Pallas.

Bird regards,
WW

T
stranger
stranger
T
Raven, don't worry about the loons. They'd never be able to perch on the bust of Pallas
Quite right, Wordwind. A loon would never do.

The raven and the bust are perfect for one another as Poe himself explains:
"I made the bird alight on the bust of Pallas, also for the effect of contrast between the marble and the plumage,- it being understood that the bust was absolutely suggested by the bird; the bust of Pallas being chosen, first as most in keeping with the scholarship of the lover, and secondly, for the sonorousness of the word Pallas itself." The Philosophy of Composition, E.A. Poe

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Dear WWH,

Ah! I see you are keen of eye and quick of finger to spot my "typo" so quickly. BUT ... I purposely mispelled the word to see how sharp the AWAD users are out there and, I must congratulate you. You passed. Bravo! Okay, there was another reason I did that. I thought it would score me some quick responses. I was right.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Pee Ess:

TrippingLY-shmippingLY. :) I'm a fan of the bard too but along with aping the greats I enjoy paraphrasing them once in awhile also. Ah, blissful artistic liberty!

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Hello Wordwind,

"Quotidian" - niiiice. :) Do you use this word daily?

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
My Dearest Troubador,

You're either whismy or against me. I typo-ed it on purpose just to see if anyone would catch it and a few did including you. I salute your gifted editing eye my fellow word-monger.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith