Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#76167 07/15/02 07:36 PM
N
nancyk Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
N
Speaking with a friend about the evolution of language when she cited theis example: She is sewing an authentic Native American outfit for a traditional wedding ceremony. Part of the man's outfit is what she referred to as a loin cloth. Her daughter and her NA husband refer to the same article of clothing as a breech cloth, while a young (15) woman who lives on the reservation calls it a butt flap. Generational difference?

#76168 07/15/02 07:55 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> butt flap

LOL! I thought this referred to the opening in one of those really old fashioned, full body undergarments which can be unbuttoned when one needs to visit the outhouse/loo/WC.
Loincloth, breechcloth, and even breechclout seem to all refer to the same kind of modest covering for one's private area. As far as I know these cover virtually nothing round the backside - thus 'back/butt flap' or the like is pretty ironic.
A modern term for the loincloth might be a g-string of course, although these seem to be only very narrow version thereof. Not that I have any personal experience in the field!

#76169 07/15/02 08:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I have nothing to add, Nancy, but thanks for the new words. Never heard of a breechcloth nor of a butt flap. Have heard of a loincloth, of course, as probably everybody has. Breeches, yes; breechcloth, no. And definitely not breechclout! Breechclout sounds like very fancy threads meant to impress! And I suppose the breechclout could!

All in the spirit of increasing vocabularly,
WW

#76170 07/15/02 08:24 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are quite a few sites that discuss this article of clothing. "Breech cloth" was used
most often, but "Breech clout is probably the older term". It was commonly of wool, and
there was nothing between the thighs. I'll bet the original wearers would have been glad
to have had modern jockey shorts, if only for exclusion of biting flies.
Calling it a "butt flap" sounds like adolescent contempt.

#76171 07/15/02 08:37 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
a loin cloth...a breech cloth

Hmmm, isn't there a difference between these two? I always thought of a loin cloth as more like underpants - a waste band/bit of rope with a single piece of cloth or leather secured front and back, and passing between the legs. Though I suppose it would be hellish wearing something like this if you couldn't get the fit right

A breech cloth I thought to be more of a two piece affair, with separate cloths hanging front and back. Closer relationship to kilts than underpants/G-strings.

Not that I know!

#76172 07/15/02 08:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from M-W:

Main Entry: breech.cloth
Pronunciation: 'brEch-"kloth, 'brich-
Function: noun
Date: 1793
: LOINCLOTH

and also:

Main Entry: breech.clout
Pronunciation: -"klaut
Date: 1757
: LOINCLOTH

so:
Main Entry: loin.cloth
Pronunciation: -"kloth
Date: 1859
: a cloth worn about the loins often as the sole article of clothing in warm climates

formerly known as etaoin...
#76173 07/15/02 08:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
figured I'd better:

Main Entry: loin
Pronunciation: 'loin
Etymology: Middle English loyne, from Middle French loigne, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin lumbea, from Latin lumbus; akin to Old English lendenu loins, Old Church Slavonic ledvije
Date: 14th century
1 a : the part of a human being or quadruped on each side of the spinal column between the hipbone and the false ribs b : a cut of meat comprising this part of one or both sides of a carcass with the adjoining half of the vertebrae included but without the flank
2 plural a : the upper and lower abdominal regions and the region about the hips b (1) : the pubic region (2) : the generative organs

Main Entry: 1gird
Pronunciation: 'g&rd
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gyrdan; akin to Old English geard yard -- more at YARD
Date: before 12th century
Inflected Form(s): gird.ed /'g&r-d&d/; or girt /'g&rt/; gird.ing
transitive senses
1 a : to encircle or bind with a flexible band (as a belt) b : to make fast (as a sword by a belt or clothing with a cord) c : SURROUND
2 : PROVIDE, EQUIP; especially : to invest with the sword of knighthood
3 : to prepare (oneself) for action
intransitive senses : to prepare for action
- gird one's loins : to prepare for action : muster up one's resources

formerly known as etaoin...
#76174 07/16/02 10:50 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
In northern england (i.e Yorkshire/Lancashire) the term "clout", meaning either cloth or clothing (depending on context) is still not uncommon, and two hundred years ago would have been the usual term to use.

I can't, for the life of me, remember the word used for "a blow; a buffet," up North. Possibly "bat", although I associate that word in that context with the North Midlands (Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire - e.g., "Shut oop or I'll bat tha tabs" [Keep silence or I shalt administer a blow to thine ears.])

Certainly not "buffet" - in Yorkshire, this means a small stool! (sometimes used for the large, solid cushion-like piece of furniture known as a "pouffe" in southern England.)

EDIT: Just noticed that my title now matches my age. Hrrrmph! (forgive me borrowing your copyright, AnnaS)

#76175 07/16/02 11:43 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the usual term

I was thinking just the same Rhu, as in the old saying "Cast n'er a clout 'til May be out" - tho' I expect there are regional variants of this expression.

edit: and may you merrily go on knocking sagger-makers' bottoms ;)

#76176 07/16/02 11:56 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Cast n'er a clout 'til May be out

Right on, mav. Presumably this is an entirely English expression, dependent on our particularly indiosyncratic climate? Or does it occur elsewhere in the world?

Incidentally, there is a deal of confusion over the correct interpretation of the above old saw.
Does it mean (as I believe), "wait until the May Tree is flowering (i.e., "out") before divesting yourself of warm clothing;"
OR - does it mean (as many would aver), "Do not remove warm clothing before June 1st."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 880 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith