Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#73975 07/01/02 10:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, over in Q and A noted the important days in the celtic calendar,
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=74623

i was born at the break on dawn on Beltane, as the doors of the heavens opened, and those from the spirit world, were free to visit this earthy place.. my lust cry caught their attentions, and they blessed me.

so when you say but blowsy barmaids may be something (whispers) entirely different you are closer to the truth than you know..

#73976 07/01/02 10:58 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
blowsy barmaids ... Banshee wails

If said barmaid (much to her dismay) is caught perpetrating a criminal act,
can we then expect that the Outlaw Blowsy Wails?

#73977 07/02/02 12:02 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: You are unwelcome here because you used tactics no
gentleman would to obtain revocation of your having been
banned for starting a flame war and refusing to stop.

#73978 07/03/02 10:26 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
my lusty cry caught their attentions

Yeah, and like parents everywhere they probably thought:
"What the hell have I let myself in for here?!"

(Actually I tell a lie - the first thoughts are far less coherent than that )

#73979 07/11/02 09:03 AM
R
R
Then of course, there's also spinster and dowager.
But why do single older women seem to have several nomenclatures when single men of any age are simply relegated to bachelor or confirmed bachelor?

A spinster is a single woman who has never married.

A dowager is used to refer to a lady of the aristocracy whose husband has died. She only had the title by virtue of being married to the Lord/Duke/whatever. Once he died the title is passed to the first born son. Because this has happened she no longer has the right to be known as 'Lady So-and-so' - that is now her son's wife. Instead, she becomes 'The Dowager Lady So-and-so'.

Obviously this never occurs for a man, because once he's died the title passes to the son and if his wife dies it doesn't make any difference because titles pass down the male line.

#73980 07/11/02 11:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re:A dowager is used to refer to a lady of the aristocracy whose husband has died. She only had the title by virtue of being married to the Lord/Duke/whatever. Once he died the title is passed to the first born son. Because this has happened she no longer has the right to be known as 'Lady So-and-so' - that is now her son's wife. Instead, she becomes 'The Dowager Lady So-and-so'.

Obviously this never occurs for a man, because once he's died the title passes to the son and if his wife dies it doesn't make any difference because titles pass down the male line.

Yes, well i guess its a good thing prince philip has a title in his own right... other wise he would be a dowager should QEII die before him.

the whole "passing thro the male line" thing is passe.

Dowagers true meaning might remain alive in England where it still has meaning, but in US, a any widow can be a dowager..

and as for term for old men, they do exist.. we are just less conscious of them.

in a society where a woman's prime function was seen as having children, (but a man was free to define himself) a woman who did not have children was a failure--and a word was used to define her --spinster..(an old woman still employeed doing a young womans work, because she never got down to her real work of raising children.)

a man could define himself as career, or as family man, or lord, etc.. (and yes, rich men had more options than poor..) as society has changed, "spinster" has been replaced by 'career woman'.. to signify a woman who chose options that didn't include children..

of course, language both leads and follows society, and spinster is still in use.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith