Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72579 06/12/02 02:45 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I will admit, i too, have been sidetracked in say colours, and started talking about art..but i did start off with colors, and words about colour, and did actually answer MG rhetorical question (did the color ever first, and the name after, or are colour name all from things.. lilac the plant, giving lilac the color..

but i have also started word thread, and added to word threads, and gone around looking for words threads

and what i find is way to much personal information (i really don't think i need to know who has or hasn't reach menopause, or about your first sexual experience) chats, about children's coloring books, and fewer and fewer word threads to explore.

i copied a 'conversation' from Animal Safari, that has all about words, and it stayed on words for a few post when it was first noticed, .. and they deteriorated, and is now dead..

Yes, there are Puns, and puns have always had a place here, but where are the words?

i guess everyone here knows the words mordant, noria, shingles, and strigil, (--the last one has many common words as first cousin's in English!) Words that have come up and just been passed by with almost no comment..

i explored the history behind crocodiles, and when i look at the word alligator , I didn't find much of interest on the root word of lizard, but on my way, stumbled across Lam, did any one else even look?

This used to be a word site, and yes, we did always go off on tangents, and several dedicated people, people who used to be regulars here, acted like a school marm's, and keep pulling us back on track.. and keep chattiness to a minimum-- and while we all griped and groaned, about the school marm, fact was, we liked having them about as guides, keeping us focused.. one person, trying to be possitive, posted, " I'm not in denial about what has happened, I'm simply not going to allow it to change what this board is about." but what has happened has changed the board..

Its a great place now if you are interested in most of the threads turning to sexy inuindo, no matter what the catagory, for personal chats, but where are the unusual idioms, the obsure words, that give rise to interesting discusions of words origins, and how they have move through languages, keeping a core meaning... ( who is surprised that the root word behind sugar is grit/gravel/pebble? we might think first of sweet, but few with argrue with gravel!)

its not just a dearth of new threads, especially on words , its that all the thread become chatty quickly, I keep coming back here, like a lost child, looking for what existed.. will it ever exist again?

#72580 06/12/02 02:55 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: What I most would like to see is follow-up on your suggestion a couple months ago that we post about words we have found in what we read. Unusual words, word used wrongly, interesting coinages.

#72581 06/12/02 04:51 PM
S
S

#72582 06/12/02 06:30 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
i guess where you and i have a fundimental disagreement, is you see the war as over, but i see the bomber as still actively posting, and most of the general population has become refugies.. and as long as the person who started the war is still here, then the war is still on.

you seem to say, it ok to life in a state of seige, thats the way things are now. and while i agree, they will never be the same, i would prefer not to live in a state of seige.

right now, there is some reconstrution going on, but there is also so guerilla warfare.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
again, peace please.

#72584 06/12/02 06:53 PM
S
S

#72585 06/12/02 07:03 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
it seems to me, tho, you always object to the guerilla warfare, and never to the tyrant (a wolf, now trying to dress himself up in sheeps clothing) who caused the problems in the first place.

Values, are ideas and abstract things that a person is willing to fight for, sometimes unto the death.. like freedom and honesty.

as for ignoring, it is difficut for others to ignore the words of someone who has used words as a knife, to cut their hearts out. what should they do when they come here, and find more of his words, everywhere? even if they are not sharpened knifes now, they are hard to ignore.

#72586 06/12/02 07:21 PM
S
S

#72587 06/12/02 07:22 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Silk, that was an unnecessary and uncalled for personal slap at me.
It steps backward from your good effort to put the fray behind us and move on to rebuilding.

#72588 06/12/02 09:30 PM
E
E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 574 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith