Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#47119 11/15/01 11:11 PM
N
addict
addict
N
Honestly! The things you guys make me think about! Sitting here repeating aloud the various pronunciations of "during" until none sounds right and I can't recall how I say it normally. I think I'm with AnnaS and usually say doo-ring, possibly dyooring - never juring. But from now on, it's certain to catch my ear when someone else says it.

M
M
Pardon, aren't all words and all pronunciations and all meanings in a state of transition?
Melt.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
In reply to:

Pardon, aren't all words and all pronunciations and all meanings in a state of transition?

Pardon, aren't all generalizations dangerous?

L
L
Don't know whether this is widespread in the States - but have noticed on some US television programmes that 'participants' often pronounce 'ask' as 'aks' and 'vulnerable' as 'vunerable'. Is this the norm? Not conscious of presenters/announcers etc. using these pronounciations. Moreover, have never heard the former down under; the latter is creeping in.

B
veteran
veteran
B
Have none of my fellow USns noticed that in the US, the long 'u' sound, correctly pronounced like 'yew' with the initial 'y' sound, as in 'during' as discussed, is slowly being displaced by the 'oo' sound? Except among those who are careful of their pronunciation, 'new' and 'knew' are now pronounced 'noo', as in Noo Yawk. This goes for any words with the long 'u' sound, whether they are spelled with 'u' or with 'ew'. Next I would expect to hear a she sheep called an 'oo', but that practically no one uses the word 'ewe' outside of crossword puzzles. So we don't see a big problem with 'during, jury', etc -- they are being pronounced 'dooring', 'joory', etc. It's a trend I hate; I think the 'oo' sound in place of the long 'u' is inelegant, to say the least.

#47124 11/16/01 02:29 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
during I've always heard and pronounced during as "derring." Is that an East Coast (US) thing?...of troy?, wow?

It seems some repronunciations suddenly spring back into usage from nowhere...like I've noticed lately that a lot of folks are making it a point to crispen the "g" in strength again (which is correct), when the lazier "strenth" suited folks (including me) just fine for decades. Maybe I just have a lazy tongue.

One recent glaring change over the past few years just drives me crazy...forté. All my life, a large part spent in the theatre where this word is commonly used ('that's not my forté', or 'that's my forté'), it has been pronounced for-tay. The, by some unknown linguistic decree, about 4 or 5 years ago everybody in the media started to pronounce it fort. I looked it up and the former is actually an acceptable, though not preferred, pronunciation. But why on earth take a wonderfully poetic, double-syllable word, and suddenly decree it to be pronounced like a hard lump of dead wood? I'll never get used to that, and for-tay it shall always be with me. I want to stick a bar of soap in their mouth whenever I hear someone do that to that word. Fort !!!
Thanks, WW, I've been meaning to post a thread on this for quite some time, but somehow always got distracted but something else whenever I thought of doing it. So thanks for giving me the opportunity to finally post it here.

#47126 11/16/01 06:25 AM
old hand
old hand
> Antipodeans, do y'all palatalize the d in during (and the T in Tuesday for that matter)?

(1) If I understand palatizing correctly - in Australia we don't. We follow the line that Bean's come across in Newfoundland ie "dyew-ring" and "Tyews-day".

(2) I was mortified to hear George dubyah talking about the reduction of the USA's "nyew-kuh-lar" arsenal yesterday. This is right up there with "arks" for "ask" in my book!!

stales

#47127 11/16/01 06:44 AM
old hand
old hand
Just thought of another..."chassis"

The original pronunciation I used was "shazz-zee" but I hear others (US'ns especially) using "chass-ee". Is one more correct than the other?

stales

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith