Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
#43791 10/12/01 07:24 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I can't understand any objection to them as presenting any additional hazard to victims of collision.

An article for you Dr Bill. http://www.motherjones.com/news_wire/bullbars.html
I particularly liked the quote:
"Nonetheless, in North America, the potential danger posed by bull bars has so far drawn little attention. Part of the reason is that the US and Canada have fewer pedestrians than the UK."

I see what they are saying but I had the strange idea that we were all pedestrians at some point, they obviously have invented total drive to the door shopping and working in the USA .. no, on second thoughts maybe they have .. next research - obesity and exercise?

#43792 10/12/01 10:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I had a 1968 Dodge van once that had the Mexican version of "bull bars", a 4"thick steel bar, front and back bumper. Once, backing up in the rain, I demolished the back passenger door of my Mother's brand new Lincoln. Ouch! And, while waiting in line at the International bridge in Juarez, I rolled into a Toyota Corolla. Poor taillights never knew what hit them. I don't have any vehicles with bull bars anymore. No profit in it.

#43793 10/12/01 11:48 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Cattle GRIDS in Oz.

and down here, too, stales. But of course being a nation of tenderhearts, we build escape ramps for the hedgehogs and other small wildlife to escape from the pit....

Around here, the truly athletic critters are the Welsh mountain sheep - completely mad and fearless. They are brought down from the wilderness areas of their summer grazing for soft winter tack, and evidently can't believe their luck. I nearly drove off the road a while ago at the surprise of seeing a sheep balancing (all four pointy little feet together) on top of a fence post, looking at me as if to say "You lookin' at ME..?"

#43794 10/12/01 12:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a sheep balancing (all four pointy little feet together) on top of a fence post, looking at me as if to say "You lookin' at ME..?"
You have GOT to be kidding me!...aren't you?

#43795 10/12/01 12:17 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
well, OK, it didn't have a very good De Niro accent, but hey...

#43796 10/12/01 12:58 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Hi, JimTD!
It figures that a post I reply to has to do with horse pee! My humor tends toward the bodily and the bathroom on occasion! But, the thought I had when I read the description, of "Sir, your horse has diabetes" was, the beer tasted like horse urine with sugar!
Speaking of horse, I just finished a Pat Conroy novel and came across a lovely phrase that I had never heard before...."let's make like horsesh*t and hit the trail!"
I had a good laugh over this, and vowed that if I use it in public it will be "make like road apples and hit the trail."

Cheers!

Marigold (need to read the info and learn how to do fun things like faces and colors!)

Marigold

Marigold
#43797 10/12/01 02:18 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I like the flavor=good/taste=good or bad distinction, but I would add that "flavor" has a slightly euphemistic quality for me. Something described as "x flavored" may not come within shouting distance of "tasting like x" -- "Cherry (or Grape) flavored" medicines and sugar-based drinks like Kool-Aid, f'rinstance.

Comedian Denis Leary used to do a bit on NyQuil -- a popular and powerful cold/flu remedy. Back when other brands were trotting out all sorts of "flavors" that still tasted nasty, he loved that NyQuil stuck to its original "Green Death Flavor," as he called it. It also comes in nasty-tasting "Cherry" now.

I read a sci-fi novel years ago that was set in the not-too-distant future and featured a protagonist who was fond of "purple-flavored" breakfast cereal.

#43798 10/12/01 04:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NY is home to the IFF-- International Flavor and Fragrance -- they produce, test, market flavoring agents.. and well as test product for flavor and (and taste) since taste buds can only taste, salt, sweet, sour and bitter, everything else is aromatic flavor.. sensed by the nose.. (which is why, when you have a cold, food is often "tasteless") In a HS bio class, we were fed apples and raw potato's --blindfolded, and with nose clips on.. you can't tell the difference between the two. all of the apple taste is aroma or fragrance-- plus sweetness and crunchiness-- which a potato also has.

and as for tasting purple, i don't know if there is such a taste- but red, green and yellow exist at flavors..
red is spicey, and some what hot on the tongue. where as green is cool, and fresh, and yellow is fruity..

and the difference between kool-ade and other better tasting flavors is time and money. artifical flavors don't have to be bad-- but good flavors, like good perfumes, are much more expensive. and in some cases, it just doesn't matter.. the chemicals that are the active ingredients give NyQuil its "green death flavor" and there is not much you can do to change that.. flavoring agents just mask it. no amount of money or effort could make it taste good.. so a "one note" cherry is as good as it gets.-- and thats not to good.

#43799 10/12/01 05:50 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I read a sci-fi novel years ago that was set in the not-too-distant future and featured a protagonist who was fond of "purple-flavored" breakfast cereal.

Gisting a short sci-fi story (or a very long pun), also focusing on food:
On a far-future human-inhabited planet, the culinary art is deemed by far the highest art form, the acme of which is an annual planet-wide competition. Past winners are revered, and their creations immortalized, like the heroes of sport or myth. Since all food is synthetic, this competition is chemical as much as culinary, as the chef's struggle each year to develop new and proprietary flavorings.

The protagonist emerges as the stunningly unexpected victor in the annual contest, his dish wholley novel, his flavoring completely unique, representing a breakthrough such as occurs but once a century.

But "all heck breaks loose" when it is discovered that his new secret ingredient is garlic -- that is, a substance which to everyone's utter disgust and revulsion actual grows in dirt. What a revolting, literally nauseating thought: to have actually put something like that in one's mouth!

The protagonist is exiled from the planet in disgrace. For as the final sentence of the story states, his actions were simply not in good taste.

#43800 10/13/01 02:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Keiva, that was perfectly dreadful! I loved it!
You're giving Ted and Geoff a run for their money in shaggy dog stories.
(By the way, guys, any time you want to write more, I'm game to read 'em.)

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith