Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42054 09/17/01 03:56 PM
N
nancyk Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
N
Have not seen this link posted, but I thought it was very moving to see the outpouring of support across the world. And forgive me, I don't know how to post a hot link:
EDIT: Now I do! Thanks, guys!
http://home.earthlink.net/~hankinhsd/thankyou.htm

#42055 09/17/01 07:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nancy, I communicate with people around the world (and which of us doesn't?). Some of those people are not great lovers of America. But all of them that I've communicated with over the past week feel the same way I do. Shock, horror, disgust and, ultimately, sheer sadness. Not everyone will have gone and put flowers at the gates of a US embassy or attended a church service of remembrance or signed a card of condolence. But everyone's feelings on this subject, with the exception of a very small minority in a very few places, are, I think, exactly the same.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#42056 09/21/01 06:19 AM
But everyone's feelings on this subject, with the exception of a very small minority in a very few places, are, I think, exactly the same.

I wish it were true - that it was only a "very small minority" but I'm afraid there's a big world of freedom-haters out there and like it or not, that number is growing.

Here in Israel, we were blasted with pictures of palestinians dancing in the streets, giving out candy and generally celebrating the death and destruction. A lot of this happened on the eastern side of Jerusalem, but much was also seen throughout the Arab & Islamic world. In Pakistan, even as some members of the government were on CNN denouncing the attack, others in the government were praising it!

The fall-out from these horrible 'celebrations' was the threatening of journalists who dared to publish the photos. The local AP bureau succumbed to the threats and subsequently refused to publish the photos we know were taken and which were initally shown on Israel TV. Journalists from Israel TV tried to change their minds to no avail.

A related question to see if anyone out there is up on history and precedent:
Was Sept 11, 2001 the FIRST time four airplanes were hijacked simultaneously by terrorists? If not, name the date and specifics surrounding the event and who was the mastermind behind it then (and perhaps now?).

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#42057 09/21/01 09:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it is sad that pakistanie where celebrating.. over 62 pakistan nationals lost their lives in the disaster.

#42058 09/22/01 11:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wish it were true - that it was only a "very small minority" but I'm afraid there's a big world of freedom-haters out there and like it or not, that number is growing.

Shalom, Shoshannah, long time no hear from!

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your statement above, at least as it pertains to the number now. It may well be growing. But even if you include every Islamic extremist or sympathiser anywhere in the Middle East, the overall number of people glorying in the effect of the strikes in NYC/DC is pretty small in world terms. Most people, whether they particularly like the US or not, won't see mass murder as a legitimate means of protest or retribution for real or imagined past injustices. I think like most of us they must simply see it as the ultimate "hate" crime. And, although they may not necessarily agree with the retaliatory measures that the US takes, whatever they turn out to be, they will tacitly support them. Unless, of course, they are as horrific and unjustifiable as the attacks themselves.

I do understand that Israel will not be the most comfortable of places to be living right now.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#42059 09/22/01 12:04 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
even if you include every Islamic extremist or sympathiser anywhere in the Middle East, the overall number of people glorying in the effect of the strikes in NYC/DC is pretty small in world terms.

Cap'n, I have no doubt that you are factually correct.

But I find only limited comfort in the fact you note. Unfortunately, we've seen what can be done by those who, though only a small minority world-wide, are in one particular locality numerous and organized -- especially if they are there strong enough to influence the government of that particular nation. (Indeed, I suspect we could fairly say as a generality that the most extreme atrocities, e.g. Hitlerite Nazi Germany, are perpetrated by a small minority.)

#42060 09/22/01 12:18 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<..limited comfort [Keiva]

Keiva,

I think Cap has covered that. viz. <I think like most of us they must simply see it as the ultimate "hate" crime.> The political dynamic in Germany was complex. Simply, though, it was silence (or silenced, as the case may be). In some ways, frankly, I find less comfort in the domestic than the international response.

#42061 09/22/01 12:21 PM
Cap - hi and thanks for the welcome! I'm not really able to spend much time on this boad or anywhere on the net these days as my job with the Jerusalem Foundation keeps me very very busy! But this is an important time here and everywhere, so I took a peek at what folks were saying... which prompted my posting on this thread.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your statement above, at least as it pertains to the number now. It may well be growing. But even if you include every Islamic extremist or sympathiser anywhere in the Middle East, the overall number of people glorying in the effect of the strikes in NYC/DC is pretty small in world terms.

Okay, I'll give you the 'numbers game' BUT remember it was those of the small numbers who were successful in pulling this off! If you are interested in more

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#42062 09/25/01 01:04 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I offer my heart-felt support to those killed and injured in the opportunist military offensive perpetrated directly after the attacks in NYC and Washingtons by the Isreali Army using U.S. weapons. These horrid acts went virtually uncommented by the western media and unlike those in America were supported by an entire people and government.
If the acts in New York can be equated to 'an attack on humanity' then the Israeli reaction was like kicking her while she was down. So, will she recover?

#42063 09/25/01 03:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
opportunist military offensive perpetrated by the Isreali Army ... These horrid acts ... were supported by an entire people and government. the Israeli reaction was like kicking her while she was down.

weed weed WEED! of the most repulsive nature.
STOP IT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith