#36052 07/20/01 06:06 PM
A
Aji Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
hi everyone on Wordsmith.
I am a chinese student, i have priviously raise a quetion here on Wordsmith .
this is my second time.
i found a interesting phenomenon in English, in fact,not i
found it, all of u English speaker speaks it,and u must be familiar with it.
that is the pronunciation difference between "can" and "can't".
as we know, "can't" is the short form of " can not" the pronunciation of
it shoud be can plus a plosion 't'. but in the real life, the plosion 't' is
hard to be heard and hard to distinguish two words.and i saw many movie and
tv programs which is performed by Americans or English,u show the difference
be "can"and "can't" is not by the last plosion 't', u r using the tones (tonation?)
to distinguish "can" and "can't"(the basic charateristic feature in chinese) , which "can" using the first tone(in the official
Chinese) , and "can't" using the 4th tone (also official Chinese);
can u all English lover give some comment about my humble remarkes?

#36053 07/20/01 06:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When we are not stressing the words can will normally sound more like kn with very little vowel sound and can't will have the full vowel sound but with just a stop at the end. If we are stressing the word, usually to draw the listener's attention to that specific word for whatever reason, can will be pronounced with the full vowel sound and can't will be pronounced with either a slight popping sound (made with the tongue pulling sharply off the hard palate just behind the teeth) or else with the same stop as in the unstressed version. In either case in the stressed version the vowel sound in can't will be shorter in time duration than the vowel sound in can.

Does this make any sense?

#36054 07/20/01 06:41 PM
A
Aji Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
IT IS VERY DETAILED.
but in my hearing, i often hear they are pronunced the same syllable, (stopping plosion 't' can be ignored ),i hear the same syllable and different tones.
i remember when i was little ,we studied british kind of english, i remeber 'can' and 'can't' is different in vowels.
and now i know that American speak the same vowels.
and i still think that all of u just using a "stressly go down " tonation in "can't" and a "smooth" tonation in "can"
"stressly go down ""smooth" is just my saying, i m sorring that i dont know the correct term

#36055 07/20/01 06:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"stressly go down ""smooth"

I just tried that and I do hear a tone difference. We don't normally listen for tonal differences as much as you would. I know I've heard Spanish speakers saying can't and having it sound like a stressed can. It takes practice to hear a language that is as different from your native language as English is from Chinese. All I can say is keep working on it and good luck.

And keep coming back here and your English will improve as you practice.

Also, aside from some linguistic terms used by professional linguists, I don't think we really have the language to describe the differences in stress that you noticed and referred to as "stressly go down" and "smooth".

#36056 07/20/01 07:12 PM
A
Aji Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
haha, official chinese has 4 tones.
Yue(Catonese, spoken in GuangDong, the HongKong people speak) has 7? <----my daily lauguage, i havnt studied that,so not very clear.
hakka,<---my family lauguage has 6?i havnt studied that,either.

#36057 07/20/01 11:33 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Aji, I have been repeating can/can't over and over in different sentences and I have achieved two things. The first is that I do notice there is often a difference in tone, the second is that my dog is looking at me funny, wondering if his master has lost her mind.

I am sure there is a word to describe this (the tone thingy not the dog thingy). Maybe one of our learned members can come up with it.

#36058 07/21/01 12:46 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Welcome Aji

#36059 07/21/01 01:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Aji!...thanks for posing an intriguing question. I do find that, while I mean for can't to end in a crisp "T" with my tongue clicking behind my teeth, for some reason it seems to die at the roof of my mouth in a softer tone!
And, I also find, that if I pronounce both words in succession I pronounce a harder "T" if I say can't first...can't/can. The other way...can/can't...the "T" tends to soften and fade. Fascinating! Now these two simple words will never sound the same for me again! And I'm sure I'll be listening to myself say them for weeks! By the way, has anybody read any Kant lately?

#36060 07/21/01 03:35 PM
addict
addict
I am reminded of that hilarious scene in the film Singing in the Rain, where the voice coach is teaching the dumb glamour actress to enunciate "But I can't stand him!" With her shrill, nasal voice, she pronounces it more like /kint/, only worse.
Anyone else remember this?

#36061 07/21/01 03:40 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Leaping boldly into the fray with just what I hear by saying the two words over and over ...
Dear Aji ... welcome to the Board.
Now, one problem you may have is the differences in all the regional accents that Americans have!
As a New Englander with a Boston accent, what I hear is that "can" is a word said in the throat, where "can't" has a nasal quality.
In Maine (also part of New England) I hear the throaty "Can" and the Maine accent uses caint for "can't"
at least it sounds that way.
Good luck with pronunciation ! You have your work cut out for you!
On another point, Americans use facial expression more than Asians, or so I noticed when living in Hawaii, so a bit of observation of the speaker's expression may help you distinguish can from can't.

Finally, hanging with this bunch of "Word Nuts" at AWADtalk will help you with your American/English. So do stick around! And on that note of two Americanisms, ("hanging with" and "stick around") I leave the discussion to the more erudite among us with a respectful bow in their directions.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith