Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#32565 06/25/01 05:05 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Hillerman is, at least in the fiction department, the best I've come across on the Navaho...

From some Lit. Crit./Bio. resources (Gale's):
(Hillerman) has been honored by organizations ranging from the Navajo Tribal Council to the Mystery Writers of America. . . Sympathy alone, however, is not enough. Indeed, Hillerman knows that sympathy unchecked by rigor is condescension. He works hard to make his descriptions of Navajo culture as accurate as possible. In Carol Cleveland's entry in Twentieth-Century Crime and Mystery Writers (1985), Hillerman notes:

I think the setting must be genuinethe reader must be shown the Indian reservation as it is today. . . . More than that, the details must be exactly accuratefrom the way a hogan is built, to the way a sweat bath is taken, to the way it looks, and sounds, and smells at an Enemy Way Ceremonial at 2:00 A.M. on a wintery morning.

Some of that accuracy can be achieved through research. I think I've read everything that's been written about Navajo history, Hillerman said in a 1987 interview with Betty and Riley Parker. I read the proceedings of the Smithsonian Institute, minutes of tribal council meetings, The Navajo Times, The Hopi Weekly. At other times, fieldwork is necessary: I cross-examine my Navajo friends, he reported to Bulow, and hang shamelessly around trading posts, police substations, rodeos, rug auctions, and sheep dippings. Although Hillerman has committed his fair share of factual errors, and although he limits his use of setting to insure that his descriptions of Navajo customs and values are germane to the plot, his general sense of Navajo culture is accurate. Little wonder, then, that in 1986 the Navajo Tribal Council honored him for his sensitive portrayal of the strength and dignity of traditional Navajo culture. As the award declares, he is truly a Special Friend of the Dineh, a writer of mystery novels who is as serious about setting as he is about plot, as interested in culture as in crime.
(Dictionary of Literary Biography, The Gale Group, 1999)

#32566 06/26/01 04:21 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
My apologies to Mr. Hillerman.

Bingley

Bingley
#32567 07/29/01 06:11 PM
V
V
PD James is such a great author!!!!!I would highly suggest The Skull Beneath The Skin.Rather gory,but once you get past that its a wonderful read.

#32568 07/30/01 02:47 PM
V
V
The Brother Cadfield series is good(I drifted through one of the books some time ago)and The Alchemist.....thats a fantastic novel!!!!!i loved it!!!!!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith