About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#30052 05/26/01 05:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Burgermatics is a standing in-joke amongst economists. The funny thing about The Economist's use of the Big Mac index is that it really does reduce the cost of things to terms which almost anybody who can walk and talk at the same time can understand!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#30053 05/26/01 06:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
wow wonders: WHY do I want to read informatix as infomatrix?

Well, AnnaS *did refer to herself as an informatrix, at least in this informator's admittedly spotty memory.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought AnnS would pronounce it Inform-a-trix
whereas I mean it as Info-matrix.

#30054 05/26/01 08:41 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
the website where I first saw the word belnogs to one of our own

I know this was just a typo, Max, but I rather like it. Do you think these strange belnogs are related to balrogs?
The thought of which reminds me that I can hardly wait until December for The Fellowship of the Ring to come out...

#30055 05/26/01 09:04 PM
N
N
belnogs

Perhaps Max was thinking of the drink traditionally consumed around the scheduled release date. I share your eagerness, Rapunzel, December can't come soon enough.

#30056 05/27/01 04:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I saw a sneak part-preview. Nyah, nyah!

But I didn't see enough to form a firm opinion. Although I think it's going to be okay. The problem is that I (as I assume all of us do) have an mind's-eye view of the characters, and Jackson's ain't the same as mine.

I also know one of the actors who got a part as one of the Elven lords (although I haven't seen him for months. He may be visiting Nemo). Plus there are dunnamany people around Wellington who had parts as extras.

[sneaks-off-thinking-"It-ain't-what-you-know,-ha-ha!" -e]

#30057 05/27/01 04:57 AM
N
N
In reply to:

The problem is that I (as I assume all of us do) have an mind's-eye view of the characters, and Jackson's ain't the same as mine.

I saw an interview with your bearded compatriot(?) in which, once I could understand his accent, he mentioned that very point. He said that since everyone would have their own mental image of the story, it would be the kiss of death for him to attempt to form some sort of amalgam of various views. He felt that the best thing, in fact he said the only thing, he could do was produce a trilogy of films consistent with his own internal vision, and hope that at least some others liked it. I think that it's not a bad philosophy for tackling such a task.

#30058 05/27/01 10:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I saw an interview with your bearded compatriot(?)

He is.

in which, once I could understand his accent,

Sorry, should we all speak American instead of English?

he mentioned that very point. He said that since everyone would have their own mental image of the story, it would be the kiss of death for him to attempt to form some sort of amalgam of various views.

Whose would he take note of? How many LOTR fans are there? That's how many views he would have to amalgamate!

He felt that the best thing, in fact he said the only thing, he could do was produce a trilogy of films consistent with his own internal vision, and hope that at least some others liked it.

He's expressed that view many times. Everyone agrees with the philosophy, but, as he fears, that may not make the final result more palatable to some.

I think that it's not a bad philosophy for tackling such a task.

But it does bring us back to the fundamental question that was being asked at the start of it all - should it have been done at all? And I don't know if I can answer that at this point. As I said, I didn't see enough to be able to actually form an opinion which may be just as well. For me success will depend on the flow of the story, the scenes included and excluded, the emphasis (Hollywoodisation), the direction and the characterisations. The casting of the part of Gandalf was, for me, a mistake. The person who SHOULD have played it given my internalisation of Gandalf was the original Dr Who. Which is not a slur on the actor at all, especially since the actor who played Dr Who is now deceased. I actually don't have a clear mind-picture of Frodo, so that won't matter. Sam Gamgee does. So do Merry and Pippin and Aragorn. Galadriel and Celeborn don't matter. Smeagol does. But that, too, will be different for everyone!

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see ...

#30059 05/27/01 10:30 AM
N
N

in which, once I could understand his accent,

Sorry, should we all speak American instead of English?

Goodness me, no! What makes you think that we speak with an American accent here on Tol Eressëa?

As to the rest of your comment, I tend to agree. I am eager to see the movie, but am already expecting to be disappointed if I'm lucky, and to be disgusted and angry, with the latter seeming more likely.

#30060 05/28/01 12:38 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
here on Tol Eressëa?

Hi Max

#30061 05/28/01 01:38 AM
N
N
In reply to:

here on Tol Eressëa?

Hi Max

Excuse me?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith