Next Thread
Print Thread
#27917 05/01/01 10:25 AM
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
The Marine excursion of the knights of Pythias is my favorite Stephen Leacock story. I was wondering if anyone else reads Leacock stories and which is your favorite?

-Scott

P
addict
addict
P
Two of my favourite Leacock stories are "My financial career" and "The awful fate of Melpomenus Jones". Both of them were made into animated films by the National Film Board of Canada in the 1960s.

T
stranger
stranger
T
My favorite line from the Marine Excursion goes something like this: "... and the bank teller with a face like a horse, and his friend with a face like another horse..."

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Wasn't it his brother? I liked all of the Sunshine sketches.

jimthedog

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Glad to see Stephen Leacock is still being read if this is the same Canadian humorist I remember reading so many years ago. He wrote an essay telling about he and his room-mate with their heads still under the covers because it was very cold, commiserating with each other because "they had not slept a wink all night!" Only to discover when they threw off the covers that the ceiling had fallen during the night, and neither had known it.
A couple weeks later, I woke up feeling the same way, and found that there had been a fire in the room below me, the firemen had chopped down doors and smashed windows, with sirens screaming, all without my knowing it.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I looked it up...

"The two tellers of the Exchange Bank are both there standing side by side. But one of them -- the one with a cameo pin and the long face like a horse -- is going, and the other -- with the other cameo pin and a face like another horse -- is not. In the same way, Hussell of the Newspacket is going, but his brother, beside him, isn't. Lillian Drone is going, but her sister can't; and so on all through the crowd."

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith