S
Sldgman Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
I was told when I joined that there was a sort of
"agreement" to never discuss religion and politics.
Guess that has changed, at least this week.

Well, I guess Anu didn't get the message.

S
Sldgman Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted By: bexter
I don't think he was being
Originally Posted By: Sldgman
anti-religion
I vocalise these beliefs and some disagree with me, which is fine, but none of them never talk to me again because that is what I believe...they are entitled to their opinion and I to mine. Anu was not forcing his beliefs into your head, he was merely stating his beliefs as you have done here. That should be OK and as Voltaire said 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'

To take such offense at another's beliefs is intolerant and in my (rather limited) experience, tolerant is something that people tend to enjoy being. You are entitled to be upset about things but that is no reason to abandon something so brilliant as AWAD. I am sure Anu did not write it to annoy or offend you but to explain his viewpoint with which you may or may not agree.
To end, another Voltaire quote 'I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write'

I think Anu's comment would be perfectly acceptable in a forum. I am not trying to censor him. i am just asking that opinions be expressed in a more appropriate setting.

If I want to discuss religion or politics, I would go to a forum such as this. On the other hand, I thought the daily e-mail was a vehicle to learn about new words.

IMHO, Anu's comments were rather prejudiced since he makes a blanket statement about religions that believe in God. He may know about words, but not much about different religions.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Sldgman
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
I was told when I joined that there was a sort of
"agreement" to never discuss religion and politics.
Guess that has changed, at least this week.

Well, I guess Anu didn't get the message.

Anu doesn't post here much and when he does it's generally about some technical matter involving the operations of the forum. As has been stated by several others, what he says in his emails is his business. On this forum we discourage talk about religion and politics. These two topics, in particular, seem to create more noise than signal so are best left alone. There are other forums where these topics are discussed and you're free to avoid them if you wish. You're free to avoid this forum, too, but if you choose to stay you can have a lot of fun discussing language.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I may add a note: Anu did not create a dry dictionary, but rather, personal messages. His Words a Day reflect his own choices (on whatever basis), and I for one have enjoyed the occasional personal insights he's given. Though I will say, this one surprised me.

And--the Words a Day are only slightly related to this board.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was looking through the weekly 'feedback' issues today (I don't get them by email), and as far as I could see these concerns (such as they are) weren't addressed. at all.

I guess we should be thankful that some folks *are just drive-by posters. wink

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yet some repetitive weekly posters in the weekly issue
are very fascinating people. It would be nice to have
them here, adding to the insights of all.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith