About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194900 12/13/10 01:49 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Funny thing. So for years I've been meaning to look up what certain math terms mean etymologically - and recently I've been doing this on occasion. It's just for fun and I'm not being systematic about it.

Anyway, I was looking up the word "set" and it pointed to this Latin word "secta" and I thought, "Hey, that sounds like section," so I looked up section.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Soap-rock

and while I never quite understand what these entries are telling me, section is somehow related to an OE word seax which means a short sword, but it looks like it derives from the Latin saxum which means stone.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Makes sense to me. The PIE root means 'to cut' and the English seax became the thing doing the cutting and the Latin saxum the thing being cut (or, in this case, carved).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and while I never quite understand what these entries are telling me, section is somehow related to an OE word seax which means a short sword, but it looks like it derives from the Latin saxum which means stone.

Etymologies, especially the ones in dictionary entries, are greatly compressed histories of related words (and languages). The entry you were referring to (not to mantle Faldo's toes):
Quote:
1550s, from M.Fr. section, from L. sectionem (nom. sectio) "a cutting, cutting off, division," from sectus, pp. of secare "to cut," from PIE base *sek- "cut" (cf. O.C.S. seko, sesti "to cut," secivo "ax, hatchet;" Lith. isekti "to engrave, carve;" Alb. sate "mattock;" O.S. segasna, O.E. sigše "scythe;" O.E. secg "sword," seax "knife, short sword;" O.Ir. doescim "I cut;" L. saxum "rock, stone").
Posits a PIE root (base) *sek- 'to cut' from which are descended many cognate words in various daughter languages. Latin has two words: (1) seco, secare, sectus, 'to cut' (which has an abstract noun sectio from the past passive participle sectus and (2) a noun saxum meaning 'stone'. The noun saxum is not a descendant of seco, they are more like siblings or cousins, both of which descend from the PIE base. Same thing in Old English, except in that case, there are three nouns, i.e., sigše 'scythe' secg 'sword' and seax 'knife, short sword'. The great thing about language is that you can take words or roots (bases) and by using affixes and other morphological processes derive whole families of semantically related words to use.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No mantle taken, Nuncle.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith