Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#189789 03/06/10 04:05 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A discussion I was having on another board, led to my reading a book on Shakespeare's grammar (link). The opening paragraph of the Introduction gave me pause to laugh out loud:
Quote:
Elizabethan English, on a superficial view, appears to present this great point of difference from the English of modern times, that in the former any irregularities whatever, whether in the formation of words or in the combination of words into sentences, are allowable. In the first place, almost any part of speech can be used as any other part of speech. An adverb can be used as a verb,"They askance their eyes" (R. of L.); as a noun, "the backward and abysm of time" (Sonn.); or as an adjective, "a seldom pleasure" {Sonn.). Any noun, adjective, or neuter verb can be used as an active verb. You can "happy" your friend, "malice" or "foot" your enemy, or "fall" an axe on his neck. An adjective can be used as an adverb; and you can speak and act "easy," "free," "excellent:" or as a noun, and you can talk of "fair" instead of "beauty," and "a pale" instead of "a paleness." Even the pronouns are not exempt from these metamorphoses. A "he" is used for a man, and a lady is described by a gentleman as "the fairest she he has yet beheld." Spenser asks us to

"Come down and learne the little what
   That Thomalin can sayne."—Calend. Jul. v. 31 (Nares).

And Heywood, after dividing human diners into three classes thus—

"Some with small fare they be not pleased,
   Some with much fare they be diseased,
   Some with mean fare be scant appeased,"

adds with truly Elizabethan freedom—

"But of all somes none is displeased."
And it just keeps on getting better. You cannot be faulted for reading or skimming the book yourself. I wonder if there is some peever who has taken Shakespeare to task for his grammar or spelling. I also wonder if their is a grammar nazi who has produced anything nearly so fine as Chaucer or Shakespeare has writ. Come to think of it, some in the Early Modern English period began to criticize Chaucer for his not scanning well, and the first instance of Shakespearian criticism extant, towards the end of the 17th century by Thomas Rhymer (an historian, not a literateur) savages him for not writing Neo-Classical tragedies à la The then-in-vogue French.

[And, it just dawned on me that the Edwin Abbott Abbott who penned Shakespearian Grammar (linked to above) is none other than the very author of Flatland.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #189790 03/06/10 04:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
delight in the full!

formerly known as etaoin...
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
And this marvellous paragraph from Canby et al. English Composition in Theory and Practice (link):
Quote:
Participles are equally dangerous. Sometimes, as is the case with pronouns, their reference is vague.

Hastening up the steps, the door opened.
On entering'the room, the eye is struck by a huge chandelier.
After eating a hearty dinner, our carriages were brought to the door.
Lost in meditation, the minutes fleeted past.

Each sentence above illustrates what is called the "dangling participle." There is no one word to which the participle definitely refers. In each sentence except the third, they refer presumably to words in a preceding sentence. In the third, the participle refers to the antecedent of our. Errors of this sort are especially common. Participles much be watched; they cannot be trusted without strict surveillance. Make your participles refer to some definite person, thing, or idea. Moreover, see that they refer to some particular person, thing, or idea. Make it clear that they modify one word, and only one; see that they are not ambiguous.
This animus toward the natural and genial aspects of language would be laughable if it were not so frightening.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
seriously, give people a little credit!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As for the second one, hopefully when I enter a room at least one of my eyes will enter, also.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yet it's hard to make a wrong one on purpose. I can't.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thinking about it a little, dangling participles come quite easily.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Dangling a participle, you cannot expect to get by the grammar police.

old hand
old hand
My best friend once got me two buttons. One said "Grammar Police" and the other "Grammar Police enforce the Syntax"...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith