Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#186518 08/18/09 07:57 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Looking for a rhetorical term similiar to metaphor, synechdoche, metonymy etc. to describe a certain concept.

While translating a screenplay, an interesting play on words just came up. In a scene where a dying old man's bony hands are extremely prominent, he later says, "I haven't much time on my hands."

Of course, there's irony there, because he most certainly does have time on his hands, in a literal sense. But I'm struggling to come up with a way to express the idea of a parallel --or double-- meaning, especially when a metaphorical phrase contrasts or adds to something literal.

Any suggestions?

T
OP Offline
T
Some other examples of the concept, perhaps, would be:

• A woman leaps out of her rocking chair in a rage and her husband says, “You’re off your rocker!”
• A soldier gets his nose shot off. When the nurse looks at him sympathetically, he shrugs, “No skin off my nose.”
• An impotent man who uses marijuana to arouse himself, explains to his partner, “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.”

old hand
old hand
Kia ora Tito,
'Dry humour' springs to mind.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are a zillion 'rhetorical figures'; have you given The Forest of Rhetoric a try? link

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Tito if you haven't already been there and if you're very patient,

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=double+meaning

dalehileman
T
OP Offline
T
tsuwm, dalehileman, very nice links. Thank you. Bookmarked and ready for perusal, but not this late.

Maybe it's something as simple as "double entendre." I just thought that with all the specialized terms there are, there would be something that pegs "a figurative saying which, if taken literally, expresses the opposite of something else."

... Though, in a couple of my examples, it doesn't state the opposite.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
taking my own advice (Silva Rhetorica) I find:
1) adianoeta An expression that, in addition to an obvious meaning, carries a second, subtle meaning (often at variance with the ostensible meaning).

2) antiphrasis Irony of one word, often derisively through patent contradiction.

there are others..

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
the term double entendre usually indicates that the second meaning is sexual. I suppose inadvertent pun would be too simplistic? People might figure it out where the more accurate adianoeta would need to be looked up.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Does Silva Rhetorica tell you how to pronounce adianoeta?

T
OP Offline
T
Good work, tsuwm! Yes, that does seem to be it. And adianoeta is apparently just another word for double entendre. Why didn't I see that from the beginning?

Reminds me of a scene from the 60's Batman show when Robin says, "Of course! It was too simple even for the Bat-Computer to figure out!"

Oh, well. At least we've all got a couple of new words here. Perhaps the most specific way to describe what I want is "antiphrastic adianoeta."

Thanks!

Last edited by TitoMatito; 08/19/09 07:28 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 419 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith